[NatureNS] Greylag Search today - unsuccessful!

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:12:06 -0400

After a rather uncomfortable hour at the dentist this morning, Wendy and I
made a run up to Onslow in search of Ansers.  A large flock (perhaps 1500 -
2000) of geese was located on the south side of Onslow Rd (Highway #2),
about 200-300 m west of McWilliam Rd.  Couldn't find the Greylag but did
find the 2 ring-collared C Geese mentioned by Ross Hall.  Also present here
was the Greater White-fronted Goose.  It was so windy that I had to keep one
hand on the scope at all times.
No geese at all were found on McKinley Rd which we followed to the
crossroads.

We then proceeded to Highway 311 and found house #611 and the gravel pits.
Two Dozen C Geese were found in the water.  We found no geese at all on
Mountain Lee Rd.  Driving south on the 311, just south of house #579, we
found about 500-600 geese in a stubble field but scanning them in the fading
light in the brisk wind was a challenge.  We did see yet another
yellow-collared C Goose (band label read "GIT" or "G1T") but that's about
it.

Rather disappointing but not a total disaster!

Bob McDonald
Halifax