[NatureNS] Greylag update; Eurasian Wigeon

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:13:23 -0400
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The Greylag Goose was with about 4000 Canadas today (and a single Greenland Greater
White-front) in a field across the road from Pleasant View Drive, and best viewed from up
that road a little way to get some height. PVD is the first road to the right  past McWilliam
Road in Onslow, on Hwy 2 perhaps 1-1/2 km  past the Hwy 102 overpass (Exit 14A). The
Greylag was not easy to see; although it was near the edge of the flock closest to Hwy 2,
James Huntington from Iowa (and Gambell) and I spent about 2 hrs finding it, either
because it was asleep in a mass of Canadas or because it was hidden in a hollow. At least
today, patience and a lot of scanning were virtues. About 2pm the Greylag and a lot of
Canadas moved themselves across the road to the fields along McWilliam Road. Along with
my friend from Iowa, Bernie and Sandra Forsythe saw it, as did two groups of birder from
the Moncton area. Maybe there were others later

In Windsor at the sewage treatment plant, among the usual American Wigeon was a male
Eurasian Wigeon. There may be one or two females as well, although I did not see them
well into the eye of the sun.