[NatureNS] disjunct species at Angevine vs Northumberland Coastal Plain

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:46:42 -0400

--_5554d093-64cb-4789-9918-165af18aaf42_

Yes there seem to be an unusual number of disjunct species at Angevine Lake=
=2C and I am not just referring to flora.  Some=2C for example=2C Polygonum=
 arifolium=2C have been found elsewhere along the strait.  However=2C the r=
am's head population=2C the hepatica population and at least 3 globally rar=
e species of dragonfly do not appear to be anywhere in the region - as yet.=
  The lake also has=2C to this date=2C the highest recorded biodiversity of=
 herp species in NS.  There are several theories why such unusual diversity=
 is found at the lake.  I will discuss at the talk. One reason (but not the=
 only one) is that it seems to straddle 4 or 5 mini ecozones. The lake is f=
ed and feeds out to a short tidal river into the strait.  It is little know=
n that Atlantic salmon still travel the river.  They used to be in the lake=
 but the lake was dammed and the anadromous population was netted out in th=
e 50's. I originally thought that Angevine typically represented the Northu=
mberland Coastal Plain=2C and that this region was neglected by the experts=
 and that was the reason why the species found at the Lake seemed to surpri=
se everyone. However=2C I believe since then there has been much more work =
done but=2C as far as I know=2C the Lake still stands as unusually biodiver=
se.  Schofield mainly confined himself to the aquatic flora of the lake and=
 was the first to document these very interesting findings and they are lis=
ted in Rolands under Dewar Lake which is another name for Angevine. I don't=
 purport to be an expert at botany which is why every time I found somethin=
g odd I invited several botanists to come down to look. Sean=2C Ruth and Ma=
rion  did and took specimens=2C records etc. DNR also came out each time to=
 document the botanical findings. Charlie=2C Heather=2C Joan=2C Carl and ot=
hers from the Wild Flora group also came several times to have a look aroun=
d. The dragonflies I first identified by photographing them.  These identif=
ications were then corroborated by Paul Brunelle=2C who is an expert=2C usi=
ng actual specimens.  The herps were done in partnership with the herp atla=
s and corroborated with photos.  Sadly I am a lousy birder so the ornitholo=
gical component is missing.  We have made a start on the butterflies too.  =
The Lichens are amazing at Angevine and I could use some help with those! I=
t is a wonderful place for a naturalist to explore. I can almost count on f=
inding something I've never seen before on every outing.  But there is a ba=
ck story. 		 	   		  =

--_5554d093-64cb-4789-9918-165af18aaf42_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Yes there seem to be an unusual number of disjunct species at Angevine Lake=
=2C and I am not just referring to flora.&nbsp=3B Some=2C for example=2C Po=
lygonum arifolium=2C have been found elsewhere along the strait.&nbsp=3B Ho=
wever=2C the ram's head population=2C the hepatica population and at least =
3 globally rare species of dragonfly do not appear to be anywhere in the re=
gion - as yet.&nbsp=3B The lake also has=2C to this date=2C the highest rec=
orded biodiversity of herp species in NS.&nbsp=3B There are several theorie=
s why such unusual diversity is found at the lake.&nbsp=3B I will discuss a=
t the talk.&nbsp=3BOne reason (but not the only one) is that it seems to st=
raddle 4 or 5 mini ecozones. The lake is fed and feeds out to a short tidal=
 river into the strait.&nbsp=3B It is little known that Atlantic salmon sti=
ll travel the river.&nbsp=3B They used to be in the lake but the lake was d=
ammed and the anadromous population was netted out in the 50's. I originall=
y thought that Angevine typically represented the Northumberland Coastal Pl=
ain=2C and that this region&nbsp=3Bwas neglected by the experts and that wa=
s the reason why the species found at the Lake seemed to surprise everyone.=
 However=2C I believe&nbsp=3Bsince then there has been much more work done =
but=2C as far as I know=2C the Lake still stands as&nbsp=3Bunusually biodiv=
erse.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BSchofield mainly confined himself to the&nbsp=3Baquati=
c flora of the lake and was the first to document these very interesting fi=
ndings and they are listed in Rolands&nbsp=3Bunder Dewar Lake which is anot=
her name for Angevine.&nbsp=3BI don't purport to be an expert at botany whi=
ch is why every time I found something odd I invited several botanists to c=
ome down to look. Sean=2C Ruth and&nbsp=3BMarion&nbsp=3B did and&nbsp=3Btoo=
k specimens=2C records etc.&nbsp=3BDNR also came out each time to document =
the botanical findings. Charlie=2C Heather=2C Joan=2C Carl and others from =
the Wild Flora group also came several times to have a look around. The dra=
gonflies&nbsp=3BI first identified by photographing them.&nbsp=3B These ide=
ntifications were then corroborated by Paul Brunelle=2C who is an expert=2C=
 using actual specimens.&nbsp=3B The herps were done in partnership with th=
e herp atlas and corroborated with photos.&nbsp=3B Sadly I am a lousy birde=
r so the ornithological component is missing.&nbsp=3B We have made a start =
on the butterflies too.&nbsp=3B The Lichens are amazing&nbsp=3Bat Angevine&=
nbsp=3Band&nbsp=3BI could use some help with those! It is a wonderful place=
 for a naturalist to explore. I can almost count on finding something I've =
never seen before on every outing.&nbsp=3B But there is a back story. 		 	 =

--_5554d093-64cb-4789-9918-165af18aaf42_--