[NatureNS] Recent Photographs

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:09:50 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_PAx8QDxTOPRQqsu//rbnCg)

On a recent jaunt to Canso I photographed a Great Egret at Queensport.  The bird was either exhausted from a long flight leg or dying since it made no significant moves from its location at Queensport.  I saw it coming and going to Canso, about a four hour interval, during which time it moved about four feet from standing in the water to sleeping on a overhanging limb.  I wish it well.  Here are three pics: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0158.html

Laura and I enjoyed our windy walk at Point Pleasant Park last Sunday and I managed to photograph a PIne Warbler in the pine trees by the eastern parking lot, three pics: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0114.html

I found an Orange-crowned Warbler at Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0113.html  and http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0154.html

Duncan's Cove and Duncan Reef are always productive, even in mid winter for boreal birds and water fowl.  A Boreal Chickadee posed there for me, two pics: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0117.html and http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0111.html

The Brown Creeper has been a bugaboo bird for me.  I've never been able to get a decent photo of this guy, a brown bird in deep shade moving rapidly along a brown tree but I am getting closer to success.  Unfortunately I didn't  have my large lens and fill-in flash this day,  but here are three pics from my smaller lens: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0108.html

Here's a diverse mix of birds from various locations; American Crow, two pics: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0107.html and http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0114.html ; American Pipit, three pics: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0115.html and http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0118.html; Hairy Woodpecker, two pics: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/DovesToWoodpeckers/0127.html and Herring Gull, one pic: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Aerialists/0108.html .

The final bird of this set is the Horned Lark.  This bird was foraging alone at the third beach, Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park and although the consensus leans towards a first winter Horned Lark, the yellow eye-ring had me thinking European Shore Lark.  Perhaps others on the this list and beyond have more experience with first winter Horned and Shore Larks and can offer some insight.  I have about as much experience with Shore Larks as I have walking on the moon.  Here are seven pics: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0117.html

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_PAx8QDxTOPRQqsu//rbnCg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18975">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On a recent jaunt to Canso I photographed a
<STRONG>Great Egret</STRONG> at Queensport.&nbsp; The bird was either exhausted
from a long flight leg or dying since it made no significant moves from its
location at Queensport. &nbsp;I saw it coming and going to Canso, about a four
hour interval, during which time it moved about four feet from standing in the
water to sleeping on a overhanging limb.&nbsp; I wish it well.&nbsp; Here are
three pics: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0158.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0158.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Laura and I enjoyed our windy walk at Point
Pleasant Park last Sunday and I managed to photograph a <STRONG>PIne
Warbler</STRONG> in the pine trees by the eastern parking lot, three pics: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0114.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0114.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I found an <STRONG>Orange-crowned Warbler</STRONG>
at Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0113.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0113.html</A>&nbsp;
and <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0154.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers4/0154.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Duncan's Cove and Duncan Reef are always
productive, even in mid winter for boreal birds and water fowl.&nbsp; A
<STRONG>Boreal Chickadee </STRONG>posed there for me, two pics: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0117.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0117.html</A>&nbsp;and
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0111.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0111.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Brown Creeper</STRONG> has been a
bugaboo bird for me.&nbsp; I've never been able to get a decent photo of this
guy, a brown bird in deep shade moving rapidly along a brown tree but I am
getting closer to success.&nbsp; Unfortunately I didn't&nbsp; have my large lens
and fill-in flash this day,&nbsp; but here are three pics from my smaller lens:
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0108.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0108.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Here's a diverse mix of birds from various
locations; <STRONG>American Crow,</STRONG> two pics: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0107.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0107.html</A>&nbsp;and
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0114.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0114.html</A>&nbsp;;
<STRONG>American Pipit</STRONG>, three pics: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0115.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0115.html</A>&nbsp;and
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0118.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings2/0118.html</A>;
<STRONG>Hairy Woodpecker</STRONG>, two pics: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/DovesToWoodpeckers/0127.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/DovesToWoodpeckers/0127.html</A>&nbsp;and
<STRONG>Herring Gull</STRONG>, one pic: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Aerialists/0108.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Aerialists/0108.html</A>&nbsp;.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The final bird of this set is the <STRONG>Horned
Lark</STRONG>.&nbsp; This&nbsp;bird was foraging alone at the third beach,
Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park and although&nbsp;the consensus leans
towards a first winter <STRONG>Horned Lark</STRONG>, the yellow eye-ring had me
thinking <STRONG>European Shore Lark</STRONG>.&nbsp; Perhaps others on the this
list and beyond have more experience with first winter <STRONG>Horned
</STRONG>and <STRONG>Shore Larks </STRONG>and can offer some insight.&nbsp; I
have about as much experience with <STRONG>Shore Larks</STRONG> as I have
walking on the moon.&nbsp; Here are seven pics: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0117.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings3/0117.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_PAx8QDxTOPRQqsu//rbnCg)--