[NatureNS] New yard bird

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:06:04 -0400

Good evening,

After nearly 20 years in the same location, getting a new bird in the yard
is quite exciting!  Unfortunately, it's not a rare one either!  Yesterday
morning a female Ring-necked Pheasant spent about 20 minutes under the
sunflower seed feeders pecking away quite contentedly.  This was a species I
had some difficulty finding in my square, let alone getting breeding
evidence for.  It returned this morning and fed on the mix seed I put out
last evening.  I'm hoping that it will become a regular!

Other unusual birds, for here, were a N Flicker and a WB Nuthatch.  Regular
species include BC Chickadees, RB Nuthatch (pair), lots of A Goldfinch, DE
Juncos, M Dove (4 sit up on the bird bath in the evening), Song Sparrow and
Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers.  R Pigeons and A Crows are never far away.  Our
latest C Grackle left last week.  We haven't seen Purple Finches for a month
or so.
Can't wait for the redpolls to show up.  They are a real treat during an
invasion winter!

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
Halifax