[NatureNS] A Bayberry Mystery

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:19:28 -0400
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Blake - There was a great expanse of Bayberry bushes behind the old
station house in Barrington Passage during the 1980's and 90's which
sustained the 3-40 Yellow-rumped Warblers in the over wintering flock. I
have also seen Blue Jays,  Chickadees and even the occasional Robin
apparently eating the Bayberry fruit. They do smell lovely, and if you
gather a few and sew them in a small cotton bag, they will keep the iron
clean (if any one irons clothes any more?). Cheers, Joan