[NatureNS] Fw: Black-backed Woodpecker, Gray Jays and Fox Sparrows

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:47:24 -0400

Annabelle,

The calls are very different and easy to tell apart.  Phonetics doesn't help
much so I will not waste time by reciting them.  It's best to listen to the
calls on a recording.  Although their territory overlaps in places the
boreal forest, of spruce and bog, is home to the Red-breasted Nuthatch.
Look for the White-breasted Nuthatch in a deciduous forest.

Their migration is a sight to behold.  I've only seen it once in the Delta
Marsh area of Lake Manitoba, hundreds of mixed Red-breasted and
White-breasted Nuthatches sharing tree trunks.

Hans