Fw: [NatureNS]Invasive aliens: was re unauthorized vs. OK plants lists

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:55:33 -0400

Hi Again,                Nov 26-29, 2010
    Further to my e-mail of Nov 17 [below], and I don't want to beat a dead
horse, but in addition to matters that I left for later I notice that I
neglected to comment about Buckthorn beyond observing that it now is
spreading rapidly here.

    It sometimes forms dense stands (~40 stems/m^2) in glades created by
windfall or selective cutting, within several years of this canopy
disturbance, and grows rapidly (in 3 years it likely captures as much carbon
as Ash or Maple seedlings would in 30) so I suspect it does a good job of
capturing nutrients that are released by dead roots, litter etc. and in
addition likely increases soil porosity.

    By preventing native trees from becoming overstocked it may act as a
good nurse crop (speculation at this point). But nurse crop or not, it does
a good job of feeding some birds.

-----------
    Going on to other aspects and considering first "the direct squeezing
out of native species of plants by competition"--- This no doubt happens but
I wonder whether the squeezing out is permanent or whether it is just
another step in the circular cycle of change.

    Sometimes these 'invasive' plants seem to hit a barrier. I don't know
what is happening province-wide, but Epipactis helleborine spread rapidly in
my North Alton woodlot and into the Kentville garden some years ago but now
seems to be much less common.
-----
    Moving on to "...the redirection of the photosynthate they produce into
their own growth and away from Insect herbivores, and direct attributes of
the native species that might otherwise feed or benefit native animals.",
this problem seems to be somewhat artificial.

    A good many native plants strive mightily to avoid feeding insect
herbivores but, even when they manage to do so, their fixed carbon
eventually manages to feed something; directly or indirectly.  The same
applies to alien plants. The tops ( including leaves, fruit  & seeds) and
roots of alien plants don't just keep accumulating. Therefore they must
participate in energy flow and sustain at least some other chains of
organisms.

    Some canny rodents make tidy nest linings from the inner bark of dead
Poplar but I have watched a Red Squirrel vigorously stripping inner bark
from dead Liliac and trying to yank yarn from indoor-outdoor carpet;
presumably for nest linings.
-----------
    And finally, moving on to the third "the dilution of the biogeographic
integrity of the biota": it seems to me that fussing about said dilution
reflects an amazing detachment from reality. Surely, to take just one
example, the massive fragmentation of landscape integrity, due to highway
construction, is orders of magnitude more important: especially if you are
some amphibian or reptile who feels compelled to travel to some ancestral
pond or sandy slope.

    The one element of biogeographic integrity that is a bit disturbing (to
me) is the almost certain distortion or contamination of genuine natural
ranges at relatively small scale (e.g. within Eastern North America, within
NS or within Counties) by the accidental or intentional transport of plants
and animals.

     Because human activity can bring e.g. European organisms to the East
Coast then it seems almost certain that transport activity within a
continent, country or local jurisdiction will move some 'native' organisms
to locations where they would otherwise have been absent.

    Combine this potential with the relatively primitive state of biological
inventory of e.g. insects and you have a compelling reason to get on with
the job of biological inventory.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

.