[NatureNS] Our Visit with Ralph the Pelican

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 05:30:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

no next mes
--0-355984758-1291555806=:88410

Hi Tuma,

That's a juvenile Broad-winged hawk. They have barred tails just like a juvenile
Red-tail, but are smaller and have smaller proportions, especially those tiny
little feet. CWRC got one in as a fledgling this year and he looked just like
this bird.

It can be hard to identify birds up close when you're used to seeing them from
far away! Colours and patterns stand out a lot more, and shape just doesn't look
the same.

Kathleen MacAulay
Milford Station, NS