[NatureNS] Grounded seabirds

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:22:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-368020212-1291728139=:90045

I think I've said this before on the list, but I thought I'd send another
reminder.

There are many oceangoing birds (including loons, cormorants, gannets, alcids
and storm-petrels) that have difficulty taking off from land. Sometimes healthy
individuals get blown to shore and just need to be returned to a large body of
water. However, the majority of seabirds that end up on land are injured,
starving or sick. For example, CWRC admits a few grounded gannets every year,
and we've never had one that wasn't literally at death's door when it came in.
We've had better luck with alcids, though not all have been in great shape on
admission.

Since grounded seabirds usually have something wrong with them, for their best
chance at survival they should be taken to a rehabilitation centre or to a
veterinarian experienced with wild birds to at least check if there is something
wrong before it is released. Taking such birds to water is certainly better than
leaving them where they are found, but if it's possible to have them seen by an
expert, that would be best of all.

Kathleen MacAulay
Milford Station