[NatureNS] Winter Feeding Of Baltimore Orioles

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:24:28 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e64c1c4e05d1d30496ecbfff

HI Gayle, Can I forward this email to someone off list who has successfully
kept orioles going for several winters now? You two should talk :)

Helene

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca>wrote:

> It's been interesting and exasperating in trying to keep the 4 Baltimore
> Orioles that have been visiting my feeders for the past 2 weeks or so,
> happily fed & healthy.
> There is so much competition with the rotten bullying starlings but all I
> can do is scatter the feeding areas (peanuts/hulled crushed sunflower seeds)
> & also that contain the grapes (black seedless, the Oriole's fave) around.
> It's been a struggle, regardless.
> However, Mike King came by on Sunday and suggested that with the falling
> temperatures I might be better using grape jelly since the grapes will
> freeze making it too difficult for the Orioles to eat the meat of the
> grapes.
> One thing that the Orioles seem to like is the grapes that I impale on a
> branch twig, cut off the top, scoop out some of the flesh & put a dollop of
> grape jelly in the cup.
> Anyway, just had 3 of the Orioles all lined up enjoying their dessert cups!
> Know they'll all get knocked off on the ground sooner or later but it's what
> I can come up with in the meantime.
> And an Oriole enclosure has been suggested as well.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth

--0016e64c1c4e05d1d30496ecbfff

HI Gayle, Can I forward this email to someone off list who has successfully=
 kept orioles going for several winters now? You two should talk :)<br><br>=
0:45 AM, Gayle MacLean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess2003=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><table cellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" =
39;s been interesting and exasperating in trying to keep the 4 Baltimore Or=
ioles that have been visiting my feeders for the past 2 weeks or so, happil=
y fed &amp; healthy.</div>

l I can do is scatter the feeding areas (peanuts/hulled crushed sunflower s=
eeds) &amp; also=A0that contain the grapes (black seedless, the Oriole&#39;=
s fave) around. It&#39;s been a struggle, regardless.</div>

ng temperatures I might be better using grape jelly since the grapes will f=
reeze making it too difficult for the Orioles to eat the meat of the grapes=
.</div>

on a branch twig, cut off the top, scoop out some of the flesh &amp; put a =
dollop of grape jelly in the cup. </div>
cups! Know they&#39;ll all get knocked off on the ground sooner or later bu=
t it&#39;s what I can come up with in the meantime. </div>
div></div>

--0016e64c1c4e05d1d30496ecbfff--