[NatureNS] Greylag still in Truro area

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:46:53 -0400
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This morning, Ian McLaren and I found the long-staying Greylag Goose in a flock of 600-700
Canadas (many of northern origin - but no other species) in a stubble field between Board
Landing Road and McWilliam Road, just north of Hwy 2 in Onslow, Colchester Co. It is now
into its 6th week in the area.

There were no geese anywhere between Onslow and Masstown (except for about 25 on the
Salmon River near the Tidal Bore Road) about 8:45. By around 11:00 a flock was building up
in the field and for about the next hour and a half small flocks arrived from somewhere in the
estuary to the west. The Greylag was among these.

The number of geese in the area is decreasing rapidly. There is snow on the ground, and at
least today the ground was frozen. I suspect that all these birds will move on in the next few
days, especially if the temperature stays below freezing.