[NatureNS] Owls Hit by Vehicles

From: Rosemary G <mountainchickadee@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 12:31:28 -0600

--_f8d282f5-64ea-47a2-ac55-36e5cef9e9a9_

Sandy Hiltz's email regarding dead owls hit by cars reminds me of a convers=
ation I had one day with a naturalist in the Alberta Rockies.  He commented=
 that most people don't think twice about throwing apple cores=2C fruit pee=
ls=2C etc. out their vehicle windows because these items are biodegradable.=
  But he said what  happens is this food attracts rodents/small mammals who=
 go onto the road or close to the road to eat our fruit cores...then owls f=
ly down to catch these rodents that are munching on the apple core=2C etc. =
 He said this practice causes many owls to be killed by vehicles.

It seemed to make sense.  Any thoughts on this? =20

Rosemary Gallinger