[NatureNS] White Point Christmas Bird Count

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:45:22 +0000

--_4e3afa57-332a-4e40-8bd7-818358fd976c_

Hi all:
=20
One team hit the field only for this count=2C so we definitely could not co=
ver the whole area during daylight hours.  We did well all considered with =
43 species.  Highlights were hearing a killdeer at Summerville Beach and 15=
 yellow-rumped warblers there.  At White Point on the back road with the pr=
otected cove at the end of the walking trial that crosses the bridge=2C the=
re were 24 green-winged teal.  At Brooklyn we had four wood ducks.  Dorothy=
 Poole had discovered a redhead at Liverpool the day before.  This bird is =
a young male in the following plumage:  partly into its Preformative (somet=
imes termed First Basic) molt. Note the molted gray innermost greater cover=
ts=2C which are "adult" gray - this typical of this plumage. Also=2C the he=
ad especially has a rufous tinge=2C typical of young males=2C and the pale =
band on the bill seems more pronounced than it would be on even an adult fe=
male. This comes from an analysis by Ian McLaren.  It was a Brooklyn today =
in close to the bank of the bridge there.  It was very rough at Western Hea=
d.  The highest waves I've ever seen there.  Therefore viewing sea birds wa=
s a challenge.  Only one dovekie could be found.  At Meadow Brook in Liverp=
ool along the trees there we had 28 cedar waxwings.  In Back of the Cemetar=
y in Liverpool in the multiflora=2C we located a yellow-breasted chat.  The=
se were the main highlights with a day with no rain and this afternoon clea=
r blue skies and sun.  The high was 11 degrees and we could not have asked =
for a better winter in regards to temperature for the count. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_4e3afa57-332a-4e40-8bd7-818358fd976c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hi all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>One team hit the field only for this count=2C so we definite=
ly could not cover the whole area during daylight hours.&nbsp=3B We did wel=
l all considered with 43 species.&nbsp=3B Highlights were hearing a killdee=
r at Summerville Beach and 15 yellow-rumped warblers there.&nbsp=3B </FONT>=
<FONT size=3D3>At White Point on the back road with the protected cove at t=
he end of the walking trial that crosses the bridge=2C there were 24 green-=
winged teal.&nbsp=3B At Brooklyn we had four wood ducks.&nbsp=3B Dorothy Po=
ole had discovered a redhead at Liverpool the day before.&nbsp=3B This bird=
 is a young male in the following plumage:&nbsp=3B partly into its Preforma=
tive (sometimes termed First Basic) molt. Note the molted gray innermost gr=
eater coverts=2C which are "adult" gray - this typical of this plumage. Als=
o=2C the head especially has a rufous tinge=2C typical of young males=2C an=
d the pale band on the bill seems more pronounced than it would be on even =
an adult female. This comes from an analysis by Ian McLaren.&nbsp=3B It was=
 a Brooklyn today in close to the bank of the bridge there.&nbsp=3B It was =
very rough at Western Head.&nbsp=3B The highest waves I've ever seen there.=
&nbsp=3B Therefore viewing sea birds was a challenge.&nbsp=3B Only one dove=
kie could be found.&nbsp=3B At Meadow Brook in Liverpool along the trees th=
ere we had 28 cedar waxwings.&nbsp=3B In Back of the Cemetary in Liverpool =
in the multiflora=2C we located a yellow-breasted chat.&nbsp=3B These were =
the main highlights with a day with no rain and this afternoon clear blue s=
kies and sun.&nbsp=3B The high was 11 degrees and we could not have asked f=
or a better winter in regards to temperature for the count.&nbsp=3B </FONT>=
<BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bayport</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_4e3afa57-332a-4e40-8bd7-818358fd976c_--