[NatureNS] Conrads Beach CBC highlights

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 07:23:25 -0400
Cc: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

Hi all,

A gorgeous day on one hand, plenty missed on the other (e.g., no white-
winged gulls, no juncos, etc). Some highlights (nice species and
counts on the high side):

17 Northern Pintail (16 at once in the marsh east of Conrad Rd)
3 American Coot (I didn't see them myself, but as I understood it, in
the waters east of West Lawrencetown Rd)
4 Killdeer (Conrads Beach -- 3 on the beach, 1 at the north end of the
east marsh)
2 Sanderling (Conrad Beach)
2 Purple Sandpipers (the rocky point at the E end of Conrad Beach)
5 Bonaparte's Gulls
22 Black-headed Gull
1 Belted Kingfisher (not seen on count day, but seen near-daily up to
the 18th by a local resident)
19 Golden-crowned Kinglets (partly thanks to pretty calm conditions
and good digging: collectively we had 93 bc chickadees)
1 Gray Jay (spruces east end of Conrad's Beach)

Cheers,
Andy Horn, Halifax (with Jim Elliott, Cindy Staicer, and 9 others)