[NatureNS] Flight Stability of Birds in Flight with Strong Tail Winds

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:08:26 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_JG4ZPWZQXXLnZyr1mHJlow)

Subject: Re: Fw: Six Killdeer
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster AT glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:26:55 -0400

Hi Hans,
Could it be that sufficiently gusty and high tail-winds play havoc with the
feather alignment that is necessary for flight stability ?

Hi David and all,

The only way to be sure about flight stability of small birds and strong tail winds with or without turbulence is to study them in flight.  I suspect this would be more dangerous to observers in aircraft than to the birds.

I watched the Killdeer flying around Crystal Crescent Beach and they had no problems with the wind, although once over the open ocean the story could be different. There would be no turning around if they got in distress.  Calamities have occurred over the Gulf of Mexico where tens of thousands of birds have perished when a strong head wind is suddenly met.

The short crossing of Lake Erie to Point Pelee National Park, a mere 80 kilometres, is often very stressful for many birds because of head winds. This is why folks stampede to the point at first light to get close-ups of exhausted birds, a bizarre ritual in my opinion.

I have noticed that larger birds such as gulls, cormorants and gannets sideslip in strong winds, that is they fly at right angle to the wind, much like a sail boat attaining its optimum speed.  Perhaps this flight strategy would permit better stability.

Nevertheless, it's not the speed of the tail wind that is the issue but turbulence.  I've flown from Los Angeles to Toronto riding a hurricane speed jet stream and the flight has been very smooth, with a much appreciated early arrival.

Hans