[NatureNS] Re: Wesley the Owl

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:59:55 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016364eff062eb19b04989056c6

HI Joan, I can attest to this 100 %....both as being a vet for wild and
domestic birds. I could tell PILES of stories on this topic but I won't
ramble on. Maybe fodder for my blog. This topic tends to bring out arguments
on anthropomorphic issues...and tends to divide camps. I am a scientist..and
a great admirer of birds..and believe wholly in special bonds between
species. This fact makes it extremely difficult to do rehabilitation
well..the constant struggle between wishing I could interact more with my
patients..but knowing their chances for survival plummet if they are not
afraid of people. I am happy to say I have never had a problem bird here
that became imprinted or a problem on release. I have had imprinted birds
sent to me that have been raised by others...and will not release
those...they need to find permanent placement.

Just my 2 cents

Helene

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--0016364eff062eb19b04989056c6

HI Joan, I can attest to this 100 %....both as being a vet for wild and dom=
estic birds. I could tell PILES of stories on this topic but I won&#39;t ra=
mble on. Maybe fodder for my blog. This topic tends to bring out arguments =
on anthropomorphic issues...and tends to divide camps. I am a scientist..an=
d a great admirer of birds..and believe wholly in special bonds between spe=
cies. This fact makes it extremely difficult to do rehabilitation well..the=
 constant struggle between wishing I could interact more with my patients..=
but knowing their chances for survival plummet if they are not afraid of pe=
ople. I am happy to say I have never had a problem bird here that became im=
printed or a problem on release. I have had imprinted birds sent to me that=
 have been raised by others...and will not release those...they need to fin=
d permanent placement.=A0<div>
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Joan Czapalay <span =
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:joancz@ns.sympatico.ca">joancz@ns.sympati=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">One of the joys of holiday gifts are the ne=
w books which highlight Christmas in our family. A favourite of mine this w=
eek has been Wesley the Owl: the Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and his Gi=
rl by Stacy O&#39;Brien.(Toronto: Free Press, 2008).<br>

The book is packed with factual information since Stacy is a scientist. (e.=
g. Did you know that Barn Owls have a comb below the third talon on each fo=
ot to groom the feathers on the top of their heads?). But the book also sta=
rted me thinking about animal communication &quot;language&quot;, and the e=
motional rapport between people and their pets. =A0I know that when Rachel =
was aged 2 (about 13 years ago) she had a rapport with our baby Starling &q=
uot;Chirpy&quot;, which was special. Have others on line had special experi=
ences with birds? I am interested, but Is this appropriate to share on natu=
rens?<br>

div>Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre</div><div>RR#1 Brookfield NS B0=
" target=3D"_blank">birdvet@hotmail.com</a></div>
w.cwrc.net/images/2011_calendar/CWRC_2011_Calendar_lo_for_web.pdf" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.cwrc.net/images/2011_calendar/CWRC_2011_Calendar_lo_=
for_web.pdf</a></div>
ndar.shtml" target=3D"_blank">http://www.cwrc.net/2011_calendar.shtml</a></=

--0016364eff062eb19b04989056c6--