[NatureNS] Snow Goose & Bohemian Waxwings, Chester

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:45:29 -0400
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

A couple of days ago, Chris Field posted the presence of a Snow Goose with Canadas on
the Chester golf course. Although there was plenty of evidence this morning that the geese
had been on the course, they had abandoned the frozen greens and were feeding in a
grassy area on the E side of Meisner's Island, the closest island to the southern tip (Zinck's
Point) of the golf course. The Snow Goose was distant but I eventually got some passable
views of it and noted its size relative to the Canadas. I concluded, tentatively because of the
distance, that it is a "Greater" Snow Goose, i.e. an easterner, not a westerner.

Mid-morning, a flock of about 100 Bohemian Waxwings was feeding along a sunny bank on
Water Street, Chester, not far from the ferry wharf.