[NatureNS] Re: 2010 Nature observations

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:32:16 -0400
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: D W Bridgehouse <d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca>

There were many nature highlights in 2010, Derek, but some special
observations for me in NS were some large beautiful moths. There was a
Polyphemous Moth in Shelburne at the entry to Tim Horton's around 11pm
the evening of April 7th. I also took pictures of a Luna drying its
wings in Annapolis Royal on July 7th at noon time,  and I saw  Cecropia
(Robin Moths) in several locations in June and July.
I learned that what I thought was a dead insect was the exuvium (cast
exoskeleton) of a stonefly (Plecoptera).
What I thought was a small white moth was actually a dragonfly ( Common
Whitetail (Plathemis lydia).Thanks to Dave McCorquodale, Chris Majka,
yourself and to all the wonderful resource people who are on naturens.
So much to learn!
My one resolution for this year is to make more careful nature notes,
and save my pictures by date.
Happy New Year, Everyone.