[NatureNS] 2010 Nature observations

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 19:21:40 -0500
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 12/31/2010 6:17 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

>  my highlight of
> the year was on NatureNS; learning about, and getting a copy of,
> Identifying land snails and slugs in Canada (Grimm et al., 2009).
> Happy New Year, Dave Webster, Kentville

* well, it's very gratifying to have played a part in providing this:
these books are still available at no cost from the Canadian Food
Inspection Agency - see below.

Our most exciting observation of 2010 was the province of Nova Scotia,
through which we were so helpfully guided by members of naturens,
including the non-standard (at least from our Central Canadian
perspective) Phragmites Reeds that we found there, the Bay of Fundy,
Hurricane Earl, the Annapolis Valley, and Kejimkujik Park.

all the best for 2011,

fred & Aleta
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm
Longterm ecological monitoring - http://fragileinheritance.org/
            http://www.doingnaturalhistory.com/
          http://quietcuratorialtime.blogspot.com/
Grimm, F. Wayne, Robert G. Forsyth, Frederick W. Schueler, & Aleta
Karstad. 2009 [2010]. Identifying Land Snails and Slugs in Canada:
Introduced Species and Native Genera. Canadian Food Inspection Agency,
Ottawa. iv+168 pp.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/pestrava/escarge.shtml

...and

Grimm, F. Wayne, Robert G. Forsyth, Frederick W. Schueler, & Aleta
Karstad. 2009 [2010]. Identification des escargots et des limaces
terrestres au Canada: Espèces introduites et genres indigènes. Agence
canadienne d'inspection des alimentes. Ottawa. iv+168 pp. (translation
of Identifying Land Snails and Slugs in Canada, edited by Isabelle
Picard). http://www.inspection.gc.ca/francais/plaveg/pestrava/escargf.shtml