[NatureNS] RR Blackbird Deaths In Arkansas (off-topic)

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:07:24 -0400

href=3D"mailto:c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca"&gt;c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca&lt;/a&gt;&amp;

--Boundary_(ID_Q0xGlszUdXQqanEjDvbV+Q)

Hi Richard,

My thoughts exactly. It might be difficult to determine after the fact exactly what caused the blunt force trauma or what caused the birds to panic. Maybe the combination (thunder & lightning plus fireworks) proved to be too great an overall stress? It would be interesting if there was some kind of radar data available from this area at the time of this incident. It might shed some light on exactly what was going on in the skies and exactly when the birds started dropping out of them. What do birds normally do when they panic? Could airflow at the time have been such as to keep the birds flying at low levels where they are much more apt to collide with things?

Cheers,

Chris
I was wondering about percussion. There was a clip on the news last evening showing a grackle stumbling about in circles in a shock like condition seeming unaware there was a person or persons very close to it. I also noted it had some unusual markings about the head but the clip was too short and too distant. Maybe birds have the same problem as do fish with sound waves? I chopped a hole in the ice of my pond one year to set in a float to keep oxygen available, and killed the fish from the chopping I understand.
I am no expert obviously but a definite curiosity and heart felt concern.
Marg Millar, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca

--Boundary_(ID_Q0xGlszUdXQqanEjDvbV+Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18999">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Hi Richard,
</FONT>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>My thoughts exactly. It might be difficult to determine after the fact
exactly what caused the blunt force trauma or what caused the birds to panic.
Maybe the combination (thunder &amp; lightning plus fireworks) proved to be too
great an overall stress? It would be interesting if there was some kind of radar
data available from this area at the time of this incident. It might shed some
light on exactly what was going on in the skies and exactly when the birds
started dropping out of them. What do birds normally do when they panic? Could
airflow at the time have been such as to keep the birds flying at low levels
where they are much more apt to collide with things?</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>Cheers,</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>Chris</DIV>
<DIV>...................&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>I was wondering about percussion. There was a clip on the news last evening
showing a grackle stumbling about in circles in a shock like condition seeming
unaware there was a person or persons very close to it. I also noted it had some
unusual markings about the head but the clip was too short and too distant.
Maybe birds have the same problem as do fish with sound waves? I chopped a hole
in the ice of my pond one year to set in a float to keep oxygen available, and
killed the fish from the chopping I understand. </DIV>
<DIV>I am no expert obviously but a definite curiosity and heart felt concern.
</DIV>
<DIV>Marg Millar, White Point, Queens</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://MargMillard.ca">http://MargMillard.ca</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Q0xGlszUdXQqanEjDvbV+Q)--