[NatureNS] Barred Owls (midday)

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:00:09 -0400
From: <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: jeannies@ns.sympatico.ca

I have seen Barred Owls during the daytime many times, Jeannie, especially when I lived in Yarmouth.
Years ago, my father rescued a Barred Owl from a trap, and when it was starting to fly again, it would leave its roost in an old hen pen at the sound of the mill whistle, and fly post to post to meet Dad coming home from the shipyard for dinner. This happened mid-day rain or shine until the owl was strong enough to be released in the woods where it was found. Cheers, Joan