[NatureNS] Dunlin?

From: Ken MacAulay <kenmacaulay@eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:19:10 -0400

While walking today, I flushed a bird from a roadside ditch, from where it
flew under some bushes in between two houses.  It was small, brownish, with
a pale underbelly and a very long down curved bill, way out of proportion to
the body (maybe 2.5 times the head size).  When I returned home, the closest
image I could see in my Sibley was a non-breeding adult dunlin.  Is this
possible away from the shore?  The ocean was probably 500 yards away.  Or
does anyone have other suggestions?  I thought at the time it might have
been a woodcock, but never having seen one before, the Sibley picture was
not the right colouring and the bill was more curved.

Ken MacAulay
Port Mouton, NS