[NatureNS] Raptor that might be worth looking for

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:30:32 -0400
To: "Barb& Pat Giffin" <barpat@ns.sympatico.ca>,

--90e6ba6e8c12700ae3049a513385

Hi,

This morning on my way to working in Middleton, I saw a raptor fly towards
me and land in a tree by the roadside. The tree was the lone stump - remains
of an elm I think, that's by the 101 just W. of Larsens Meat Packers, just
W. of the Berwick exit. The bird flew low, then up onto the top of the tree
stump. I couldn't stop or slow down, as the road was snow-covered, and I was
right behind a plough, with traffic right behind me. In the 1 second or so
that I could see anything, it appeared slightly smaller than a Red-tail, was
probably buteo-shaped, but the striking thing was that it appeared to be all
dark or black with very striking huge white primary patches. The tail color
didn't register. I suppose it was likely a dark phase Rough-leg, but the 2
things that immediately came to mind were Black vulture and Northern
caracara! BTW, as usual there was about a Red-tail per mile all along that
section of the highway.

The reason for mentioning this at all is to alert any birders in that area
to be on the lookout for whatever this is, and try and get a positive ID if
they see anything that fits this description.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--90e6ba6e8c12700ae3049a513385

w a raptor fly towards me and land in a tree by the roadside. The tree was =
the lone stump - remains of an elm I think, that&#39;s by the 101 just W. o=
f Larsens Meat Packers, just W. of the Berwick exit. The bird flew low, the=
n up onto the top of the tree stump. I couldn&#39;t stop or slow down, as t=
he road was snow-covered, and I was right behind a plough, with traffic rig=
ht behind me. In the 1 second or so that I could see anything, it appeared =
slightly smaller than a Red-tail, was probably buteo-shaped, but the striki=
ng thing was that it appeared to be all dark or black with very striking hu=
ge white primary patches. The tail color didn&#39;t register. I suppose it =
was likely a dark phase Rough-leg, but the 2 things that immediately came t=
o mind were Black vulture and Northern caracara! BTW, as usual there was ab=
out a Red-tail per mile all along that section of the highway.</div>

irders in that area to be on the lookout for whatever this is, and try and =
get a positive ID if they see anything that fits this description.</div>

P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.c=
om</a><br>

--90e6ba6e8c12700ae3049a513385--