[NatureNS] Kinglets in south end Halifax

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:37:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-530918546-1296009472=:93608

So delighted, Liz,=A0to know your Mom is seeing some lovely winter birds in=
 her yard this winter. So enjoyed meeting her last year when she was here a=
nd got to see the Orange-crowned Warbler.
btw, I did as you suggested and moved the Oriole enclosure to help reduce t=
he bullying of the Starlings.
=A0It's been a brutal 2 days, however,=A0with the terrible windchill, and t=
oday I was really worried about the appearance of my one remaining Baltimor=
e Oriole. She looked dishevelled and bedraggled, & didn't move too much (bu=
t flew away when I tried to get near to catch her, I did not chase);=A0she =
never even showed up at all, that I saw anyway, yesterday & the worms froze=
 solid quickly and so did the homemade suet. Was able to see that she did g=
et some feedings of=A0mealworms (maybe 10 - 20=A0or so), abit of=A0suet and=
 a fair bit of=A0grape jelly by late this afternoon....sigh...can only do w=
hat I can do.
I find it amazing that the OC Warbler that over-wintered here last year for=
 6 months=A0(though, much smaller) seemed to be a much stronger bird (const=
itutionally) than this larger, but seemingly, more delicate and more easily=
 intimidated Baltimore Oriole. Oh well, I guess that's the way of the natur=
al world!! Anyway, will try my best to keep the Oriole alive & thriving.=A0
=A0
Cheers!
=A0
Gayle