[NatureNS] Anna's Hummingbird in NF video

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:26:16 -0800
From: Brian Starzomski <bstarzomski@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi all-

I relocated to Victoria from Halifax two years ago, though I still
spend  significant part of the year in Nova Scotia.  I thought you
might be interested in what these birds are up to here in their
natural Canadian range.  Anna's Hummingbirds are a regular occurrence
at my hummingbird feeder throughout the winter here, and their
courtship flights in December and January are remarkable.  While we
are well known for our mild winters in Victoria, there are occasional
bouts of cold, and the fact that Anna's Hummingbird is robust enough
to survive through the Nov-Feb period still amazes me.  For example,
it went to -5C last night and was still hovering around zero when I
went to work this morning at 7am.  Nevertheless, I saw several Anna's
on my walk.  Incredibly, their nest-building is likely in progress or
finished at this time of the year.  Here is a wonderful video from
January of 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aupSOndl7W0 (I must
admit I put this video on my website to demonstrate to potential grad
students Victoria's climate!).

Best-

Brian