[NatureNS] Fwd: Sharpening Presentation to KCPC

From: Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:53:51 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, Paul Evans <evans@eastlink.ca>,

--Apple-Mail-8-379655486

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: GeorgeKoszucki <koszucki@EastLink.ca>
> Date: 31 January, 2011 6:38:41 PM AST
> To: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Sharpening Presentation to KCPC
>=20

> Special Nature Photography Presentation
> =20
> On Tuesday Feb 1st at 7:00 PM in Room A106 at Kingstec Campus in Kentville=
 there will be a special nature photography presentation.  It will be given b=
y Scott Linstead and you can check out his website at www.scottyphotography.=
com.  The charge is $5.00.
>=20
> On 01/29/11, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com <st=
ernrichard@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi,
> =20
> I have all the connections to hook up the Mac just as if it were a PC. Usu=
ally there's no problem. You can put the attachment that I sent you, plus an=
ty notes anyone wants to make, in the archives.
> =20
> Cheers,
> =20
> Richard
>=20
>=20
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM, GeorgeKoszucki <koszucki@eastlink.ca <kos=
zucki@eastlink.ca>> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> If I remember correctly Gerry had difficulty in hooking his Mac the projec=
tor.  Gerry, do you have details?
> Will your presentation be in a format that we can enter into our archives?=

> Thanks,
> George
> On 01/26/11, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com <sternrichard@gmail.com=
>> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> My own feeling is that if someone is knowledgeable enough to have even hea=
rd of high pass sharpening, then they can experiment and read about it thems=
elves. There are several methods of sharpening (unsharp mask, smart sharpen t=
ool with several functions, layer mask sharpening etc.), and what I was plan=
ning to do was to keep thing simple and explain about USM, how it interacts w=
ith noise etc.
 <delainecarlson@ymail.com <delainecarlson@ymail.com>>>, "James Bishop" <jam=
esbishop@ymail.com <jamesbishop@ymail.com> <jamesbishop@ymail.com <jamesbish=
op@ymail.com>>>, "Lyall Bouchard" <lyall.bouchard@ns.sympatico.ca <lyall.bou=
chard@ns.sympatico.ca> <lyall.bouchard@ns.sympatico.ca <lyall.bouchard@ns.sy=
mpatico.ca>>>, radiorabbi@yahoo.com <radiorabbi@yahoo.com> <radiorabbi@yahoo=
.com <radiorabbi@yahoo.com>>
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Here's my answer to the questions below. Basically I'll do a 15 min. + que=
stions demo of how I do sharpening. But I'll bring my own Mac laptop, as it h=
as LR and PSE9, plus a bunch of photo files. Also, I gave some 8 x 10 eagle p=
rints to Gerry for the display.
>=20
> Richard
>=20
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM, GeorgeKoszucki <koszucki@eastlink.ca> wrot=
e:
>=20
> Richard,
> You expressed an interest in presenting the sharpening topic in February.
> Attached is a general document that I found useful along with questions th=
at can guide your presentation.
> Send the Q&A along with resources to Mike for archiving.
>=20
> 1) Why do we have to sharpen when we never had to in the film world?
>=20
> 2) Does my output medium ie print vs computer influence my sharpening?
>=20
> 3) What are amount radius and sharpening and how do I use them?
>=20
> 4) What if the entire photo doesn't need sharpening?
>=20
> 5) Do all photos need sharpening or are some photos better candidates than=
 others?
>=20
> 6) How do I know if I have gone too far?
>=20
> 7) Can I create unwanted noise by sharpening?
>=20
> 8) Any other question that I might have missed.
>=20
>=20
> I have CC'd Delaine, Lyall and James so they can provide some input to you=
> [...]

--Apple-Mail-8-379655486

</b> GeorgeKoszucki &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:koszucki@EastLink.ca">koszucki@Eas=