[NatureNS] RE: Do Y-B Chats overwinter regularly here?

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 13:53:45 -0500
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Steve,

The surprising answer to your first question is yes. Many sightings are reported in Nova Scotia each December (often resulting in good Christmas Bird Count totals) and every year a few are reported in January and occasionally in February. This is not a new phenomena. Robbie Tuft's noted the increasing number of Yellow-breasted Chat sightings through the 1970s and 80s and that trend appears to have continued to the present day.

No doubt bird feeding is aiding in the survival of many of the birds that are being reported but they will eat berries and small fruit so some may be able to survive without the assistance. The individuals I see on Brier Island in August/September almost always have the telltale purple stains of blackberry/blueberry consumption on their beaks.

Yellow-breasted Chats normally 'winter' in Mexico and other parts of Central America however from late August onwards many birds are sighted in Nova Scotia in what might be termed as a post-breeding dispersal. I believe the closest breeding areas are probably in the mid Atlantic states or south of the Great Lakes (though I seem to recall breeding reports from New Brunswick in the first Maritimes Breeding Bird Atlas) so that is probably the source of Nova Scotia's vagrants.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ont.