[NatureNS] Dartmouth cove, noon today

From: "David&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:02:28 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CBC6CF.A7E6ECD0

Hi, folks.  We were surprised to see a really large raft of ducks in the
cove today.  I counted 50+.  At first, we assumed they were eiders because
we could see white sides on the males, black heads, light beaks.  Then we
noticed the black breasts as they got a bit closer.  Many of the males
definitely seemed to have a white spot under the eye, so we thought
goldeneyes. The heads were not wedge-shaped; and the beaks were very light.
Some of the males, immatures presumably, were spotty grey/white on their
sides.  There was a whistling sound when they took flight. Could they have
been scaup?  Would a tight-knit raft have more than one species?  Actually
there were two rafts, but they were close together.  I wish someone would
dash down there with a scope (which we don't have yet) and tell us what we
saw!
Jane and Dave
p.s.  Pretty bad walking conditions on the trail.

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CBC6CF.A7E6ECD0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.18999"></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN class=3D812594917-07022011>Hi, =
folks.&nbsp; We=20
were surprised to see a really large raft of ducks in the cove =
today.&nbsp; I=20
counted 50+.&nbsp; At first, we assumed they were eiders because we =
could see=20
white sides on the males, black heads, light beaks.&nbsp; Then we =
noticed the=20
black breasts as they got a bit closer.&nbsp; Many of the males =
definitely=20
seemed to have a white spot under the eye, so we thought goldeneyes. The =
heads=20
were not wedge-shaped;&nbsp;and the beaks were very light.&nbsp; Some of =
the=20
males, immatures presumably, were spotty grey/white on their =
sides.&nbsp; There=20
was a whistling sound when they took flight. Could they have been =
scaup?&nbsp;=20
Would a tight-knit raft have more than one species?&nbsp; Actually there =
were=20
two rafts, but they were close together.&nbsp; I wish someone would dash =
down=20
there with a scope (which we don't have yet) and tell us what we=20
saw!</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN class=3D812594917-07022011>Jane =
and=20
Dave</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D812594917-07022011>p.s.&nbsp; Pretty=20
bad walking conditions on the trail.</SPAN></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CBC6CF.A7E6ECD0--