[NatureNS] Longspurs and raptors, Heart of the Valley

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:57:47 -0400

--_4b01433c-1265-4109-b81b-6357382fc2e3_

First=2C my apologies for the multiple copies of my last message.  The comp=
uter kept telling me that there was a connection problem=2C and that I shou=
ld try agan later.
=20
A circuit around the Kingston-Middleton area this afternoon (Feb. 12) gave =
no proof of migration=2C but showed that some birds are moving around.   La=
pland Longspurs are regular in the east part of Kings Co.=2C but still rare=
 here=2C as shown by the fact that one found by the Colville team at Spa Sp=
rings (Annapolis Co.) in 2010 was the first in the 43 years of our Kingston=
 Xmas Bird Count.   Several of us have been out there looking for it since =
without success=2C but today I hit the jackpot!  In a mixed flock with Snow=
 Buntings (10+) and Horned Larks (20+) were at least 18 Lapland Longspurs. =
 There have been numerous reports of more flocks of Snow Buntings in the la=
st week or two=2C and my suspicion is that these may be our earliest migran=
ts=2C although perhaps from within the Province.  About five of the Horned =
Larks had superciliaries that were pale cream rather than yellow behind the=
 eye=2C but I could not say that they were white enough to assign to the mi=
gratory race E. a. praticola. =20
=20
Although nothing like those of East Kings=2C the Bald Eagles of our area se=
emed more numerous than they have been over winter=2C with six adults being=
 seen in about two hours.  One was at the brow of Stronach Mountain=2C nort=
h of Melvern Square=2C and four (three of them interacting in the air) were=
 in the west Margaretsville area=2C near the old cranberry bog (now the DU =
marsh).  No Buteos were seen at their usual sites in Spa Springs - probably=
 moved out by the deepier snow on the fields - but a fine light morph Rough=
-legged was surveying the fields along the North Kingston part of Clairmont=
 Road.  On my way home=2C the other Bald Eagle was seen near its traditiona=
l nest site in East Tremont=2C and two Red-tailed Hawks in Tremont (Messeng=
er Rd.) were behaving like a pair=2C perched near each other in one deciduo=
us tree.
=20
Also of note in East Tremont was a flock of 30 Bohemian Waxwings.

Good birding to all=2C

Wayne P. Neily=20
Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." - Henry D. Thoreau=20

 		 	   		  =

--_4b01433c-1265-4109-b81b-6357382fc2e3_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
First=2C my apologies for the multiple copies of&nbsp=3Bmy last message.&nb=
sp=3B The computer kept telling me that there was a connection problem=2C a=
nd that I should try agan later.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A circuit around the Kingston-Middleton area this afternoon (Feb. 12) gave =
no proof of migration=2C but showed that some birds are moving around.&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B Lapland Longspurs are regular in the east part of Kings Co.=2C =
but still rare here=2C as shown by the fact that one found by the Colville =
team at Spa Springs (Annapolis Co.)&nbsp=3Bin 2010&nbsp=3Bwas the first in =
the 43 years of our Kingston&nbsp=3BXmas Bird Count.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Severa=
l of us have been out there looking for it since without success=2C but tod=
ay I hit the jackpot!&nbsp=3B In a mixed flock with Snow Buntings (10+)&nbs=
p=3Band Horned Larks (20+) were at least 18 Lapland Longspurs.&nbsp=3B Ther=
e have been numerous reports of more flocks of Snow Buntings in the last we=
ek or two=2C and my suspicion is that these&nbsp=3Bmay be&nbsp=3Bour earlie=
st migrants=2C although perhaps from within the Province.&nbsp=3B About fiv=
e of the Horned Larks had superciliaries that were pale cream rather than y=
ellow behind the eye=2C but I could not say that they were white enough to =
assign to the migratory race <EM>E. a. praticola</EM>.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Although nothing like those of East Kings=2C the Bald Eagles of our area se=
emed more numerous than they have been over winter=2C with six adults&nbsp=
=3Bbeing seen in about two hours.&nbsp=3B One was at the brow of Stronach M=
ountain=2C north of Melvern Square=2C and four (three of them interacting i=
n the air) were in the west Margaretsville area=2C near the old cranberry b=
og (now&nbsp=3Bthe DU marsh).&nbsp=3B No Buteos were seen at their usual si=
tes in Spa Springs - probably moved out by the deepier snow on the fields -=
 but a fine light morph Rough-legged was surveying the fields along the Nor=
th Kingston part of Clairmont Road.&nbsp=3B On my way home=2C the other Bal=
d Eagle was seen near its traditional nest site in East Tremont=2C and two =
Red-tailed Hawks in Tremont (Messenger Rd.)&nbsp=3Bwere behaving like a pai=
r=2C perched near each other in one deciduous tree.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Also of note in East Tremont was a flock of 30 Bohemian Waxwings.<BR>
<BR>Good birding to all=2C<BR><BR>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal><SPAN lang=3DEN-US><FONT face=3D"Times New Ro=
man"><STRONG><FONT size=3D5></FONT></STRONG></FONT></SPAN></P>
<DIV>Wayne P. Neily&nbsp=3B<BR>Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia</DIV>
<DIV><BR>"In wildness is the preservation of the world." - Henry D. Thoreau=
 <BR><BR></DIV> 		 	   		  </body>

--_4b01433c-1265-4109-b81b-6357382fc2e3_--