[NatureNS] Eagles Count - where were they on Feb. 13?

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:50:39 -0400

Sorry to whoever inquired about this that I haven't responded until
now.  Someone said that after the Eagle Watch very few eagles were at
the Swetnam feeding site at the north end of Middle Dyke Road.

On our count of 179 bald eagles on Sunday, Feb. 13, here is our list
of areas and how many eagles were in each:

21 eagles in area A - Gaspereau River Valley, mostly from Gaspereau
to Wallbrook.
44 eagles in area B - nw. of Port Williams south from Saxon St. to
Cornwallis River.
8 eagles in area C - Cornwallis River Valley, Kentville to Wolfville.

7 eagles in area D(i) - ne. of Grand Pre, RR tracks to Minas Basin
shores
28 eagles in area D(ii) - se. of Grand Pre RR tracks to Gaspereau River.

5 eagles in area E - s. & e. of river in Canning to Canard River.

6 eagles in areas F(i) & F(ii), nw. and sw. of Grand Pre, south to
Gaspereau River.

2 eagles in area G(i) - n. & e. of Canning.
3 eagles (including 2 at nest in Scots' Bay) in area G(ii) - n. of
Pereau River to Scots' Bay.

1 eagle in area H(i) - nw. of Canning & n. of Bains Road.
19 eagles in area H(ii) - w. of Canning from Bains Road s. to Saxon
St. (includes Swetnam site).

7 eagles in area I - Avonport area.
1 eagle in area J - w. & s. of White Rock.

19 eagles in area K - south of White Rock to Black River -- most of
these eagles were at farm formerly owned by Gordon Young, now his
grandson?, along Lower Sunken Lake Road.

10 eagles in area L - e. & n. of Port Williams from Cornwallis River
to Canard River.
------------------------
The putting out of daily chicken mortalities goes on all winter, but
each farmer is at a different place in the 8-week cycle of broiler
production from other farmers, and the eagles seem to know who has
the biggest carcasses.  It takes six weeks to grow a broiler, and
then when they go to market, there is a two-week time of no chickens
to get ready for the next batch, as I understand it.

And we think that the number of farmers who put out food for disposal
by the eagles et al. is decreasing, in the interests of biosecurity
and as pressure is applied via veterinarians for farmers to move
their feeding sites long distances from their chicken barns -- as far
as I know, only two or perhaps a few more of the poultry producers
have moved their feeding sites well away from the barns.

Maybe it's actually a good idea to reduce the number of eagles etc.
in winter here?, although it could be hard on the village of
Sheffield Mills and its annual festival.  The 20th annual Eagle Watch
this year went very well indeed, with lots of snow and winter
weather, the weather being perfect for three of the four days, as
many of you know already.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.