[NatureNS] White Point Is full of birds right now!!

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:29:21 -0300

My, my what a difference a few days make. The for sale sign is down for now,
no market, and the birds are rolling back in! There are about 8 robins today
and they seem to be ones who know where the usual nesting sights are, lots
of posturing and yelling at each other (.........or whatever), there are
sparrows various everywhere and juncos and the mourning doves making
advances on anything that can't run away. Blue jays are in and out, last
count was 5.
Woodpeckers are plentiful, both hairy and downy but so far no sound from the
Northern Flicker that showed from time to time over the winter and spring.
There are still a few, well a smaller herd of Starlings; 7 of the 9 big
crows made it through the winter and seem set to stay in the neighbourhood.
Swallow houses went up last week and the hummingbird feeder will go out
probably after this storm.
We lost a beautiful big neighbourhood doe to a midnight highway accident
about a month ago but there is at least one more as someone has gone aboard
the climbing hydrangea rather thoroughly as well as the usual tree version
out back.
We have to bring down the 2 big maples out front. Heartbreaking but they
have gotten to the dangerous stage with pieces (some riddled by woodpeckers
and quite a size) breaking out in most wind storms. One of the reasons we
brought this place was those trees. It will be interesting to see how the
birds activities change with that. It has been a hard decision but it is
necessary, sadly.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens