[NatureNS] Brier Island weekend

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:40:24 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

also&amp;nbsp;populated by Catbirds, Mourning Dov
--bcaec51f96d9a3127e049f803173

Hi,

Liz and I spent the w/e on Brier, largely to deal with the mess made by 2
squirrels that had got through a hole in the floor into our camp. Although
there was no structural damage, there was an awful mess. But Liz did a great
spring cleaning job. That and the repairs took most of Sat., and the other
problem was the persistent cold, and high westerly wind, which made birding
rather difficult.

There were many Robins today, which weren't there Sat., but local people
told us that they had been arriving in flocks all week. The woods were
typical of Winter, i.e. pretty empty apart from small flocks of B-C
chickadees and G-C kinglets. 3 White-winged Crossbills appeared near the
camp. A single Turkey vulture appeared low over the Lighthouse Road (which
is currently in poor shape). There was a pair of Gadwall in Little Pond
today.

The expected sea ducks, C.loons and Black guillemots were present around the
coasts. Eiders were cooing and displaying. Many Herring gulls appeared
paired off.There was a single Iceland gull at W.Light. There was a flock of
~70 Brant in Pond Cove, and a few more around the Westport shore. There were
plenty of Great cormorants, but I couldn't find a D-C.

As we left, a Peregrine flew over the ferry in Grand Passage, and then
soared around over Freeport.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--bcaec51f96d9a3127e049f803173

th the mess made by 2 squirrels that had got through a hole in the floor in=
to our camp. Although there was no structural damage, there was an awful me=
ss. But Liz did a great spring cleaning job. That and the repairs took most=
 of Sat., and the other problem was the persistent cold, and high westerly =
wind, which made birding rather difficult.</div>

at., but local people told us that they had been arriving in flocks all wee=
k. The woods were typical of Winter, i.e. pretty empty apart from small flo=
cks of B-C chickadees and G-C kinglets. 3 White-winged Crossbills appeared =
near the camp. A single Turkey vulture appeared low over the Lighthouse Roa=
d (which is currently in poor shape). There was a pair of Gadwall in Little=
 Pond today.=A0</div>

re present around the coasts. Eiders were cooing and displaying. Many Herri=
ng gulls appeared paired off.There was a single Iceland gull at W.Light. Th=
ere was a flock of ~70 Brant in Pond Cove, and a few more around the Westpo=
rt shore. There were plenty of Great cormorants, but I couldn&#39;t find a =
D-C.=A0</div>

Dyke Rd.<br>

--bcaec51f96d9a3127e049f803173--