[NatureNS] seal eating rocks

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:49:52 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--20cf303bf7d6d4b19a049f898bc0

The surprise animal at the end of this year's Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy
class was a Harbour Seal. The seal was found live in a "not good" condition
at Cribbons Point, Ant. Co., last semester. Shortly thereafter, it died and
was graciously delivered to me by DFO.

Last week, my students and I opened it up and found that its stomach and
oesophagus were both full of stones...up to a bit bigger than golf ball
size. Any ideas why a seal would eat rocks? My only guess was
desperation...for some reason, it could have been hungry, but couldn't catch
any thing? It had a decent layer of blubber, so I don't think it was
starving. Nothing else seemed wrong with it, though I am no vet.

Thoughts?
Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--20cf303bf7d6d4b19a049f898bc0

The surprise animal at the end of this year&#39;s Comparative Vertebrate An=
atomy class was a Harbour Seal. The seal was found live in a &quot;not good=
&quot; condition at Cribbons Point, Ant. Co., last semester. Shortly therea=
fter, it died and was graciously delivered to me by DFO.<div>

 stomach and oesophagus were both full of stones...up to a bit bigger than =
golf ball size. Any ideas why a seal would eat rocks? My only guess was des=
peration...for some reason, it could have been hungry, but couldn&#39;t cat=
ch any thing? It had a decent layer of blubber, so I don&#39;t think it was=
 starving. Nothing else seemed wrong with it, though I am no vet.</div>

unty, NS.<br>

--20cf303bf7d6d4b19a049f898bc0--