[NatureNS] seal eating rocks

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:47:40 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--002215046c3b44925b049f8cdee2

Thanks James.

In general, carnivores don't use stones to grind food since meat is so
easily digestible - anything swallowed can be acidified and enzyme-treated
for digestion; bile helps with the prey's fats in the small intestine. I am
aware of the debate of the functions of gut stones in crocodiles...ballast
versus grinding (perhaps both...since crocs swallow bones), but have never
heard of this in seals. However, the review article you supplied indicates
that eared seals, but not earless seals (like the Harbour Seal), have them.

Additionally, this animal had a *full* stomach of stone and gravel, and the
oesophagus was full, too, suggesting something out of the ordinary. At the
time, I glanced at the teeth and didn't notice anything unusual - I'll look
in more detail when I prep out the head.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 28 March 2011 11:17, James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com> wrote:

> hey Randy,
>
> found some theories on stress (
> http://www.dem.ri.gov/news/2007/pr/0423071.htm), consequence of eating
> snow/ice on beach (
> http://www.mysticaquarium.org/animals-and-exhibits/species-of-the-month/706-harp-seal)
>
> Wikipedia also had some thoughts on Gastroliths... as a natural behaviour,
> for food grinding or for ballast...
>
> And finally an article in Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B comparing these two
> theories of gastrolith function (grinding vs. ballast) in marine tetrapods
> (http://www.jstor.org/pss/55808)
>
> Any other clues Randy, like condition of the seal's teeth or whether the
> stones appeared to be recently ingested (local rocks) or worn/polished? (I
> suppose full esophagus suggests recent...?)
>
> Be interested to hear what you find out!!
>
> Cheers
>
> James.
>

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Helene Van Doninck <
> helene.birdvet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some animals can exhibit "pica", or the ingestion of abnormal things if
>> they have metabolic issues or blood dyscrasias...just a thought
>>  Helene
>>
>> On 2011-03-28 8:54 AM, "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The surprise animal at the end of this year's Comparative Vertebrate
>> Anatomy class was a Harbour Seal. The seal was found live in a "not good"
>> condition at Cribbons Point, Ant. Co., last semester. Shortly thereafter, it
>> died and was graciously delivered to me by DFO.
>>
>> Last week, my students and I opened it up and found that its stomach and
>> oesophagus were both full of stones...up to a bit bigger than golf ball
>> size. Any ideas why a seal would eat rocks? My only guess was
>> desperation...for some reason, it could have been hungry, but couldn't catch
>> any thing? It had a decent layer of blubber, so I don't think it was
>> starving. Nothing else seemed wrong with it, though I am no vet.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Randy
>> _________________________________
>> RF Lauff
>> Way in the boonies of
>> Antigonish County, NS.
>>

> --
> James Churchill
> Kentville, Nova Scotia
> jameslchurchill@gmail.com
> home: (902) 681-2374

--002215046c3b44925b049f8cdee2

s to grind food since meat is so easily digestible - anything swallowed can=
 be acidified and enzyme-treated for digestion; bile helps with the prey&#3=
9;s fats in the small intestine. I am aware of the debate of the functions =
of gut stones in crocodiles...ballast versus grinding (perhaps both...since=
 crocs swallow bones), but have never heard of this in seals. However, the =
review article you supplied indicates that eared seals, but not earless sea=
ls (like the Harbour Seal), have them.</div>

 and gravel, and the oesophagus was full, too, suggesting something out of =
the ordinary. At the time, I glanced at the teeth and didn&#39;t notice any=
thing unusual - I&#39;ll look in more detail when I prep out the head.</div=

" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

hey Randy, <br><br>found some theories on stress (<a href=3D"http://www.dem=
.ri.gov/news/2007/pr/0423071.htm" target=3D"_blank">http://www.dem.ri.gov/n=
ews/2007/pr/0423071.htm</a>), consequence of eating snow/ice on beach (<a h=
ref=3D"http://www.mysticaquarium.org/animals-and-exhibits/species-of-the-mo=
nth/706-harp-seal" target=3D"_blank">http://www.mysticaquarium.org/animals-=
and-exhibits/species-of-the-month/706-harp-seal</a>) ...<br>

ur, for food grinding or for ballast...<br><br>And finally an article in Ph=
il. Trans. R. Soc. B comparing these two theories of gastrolith function (g=
rinding vs. ballast) in marine tetrapods <br>

(<a href=3D"http://www.jstor.org/pss/55808" target=3D"_blank">http://www.js=
seal&#39;s teeth or whether the stones appeared to be recently ingested (lo=
cal rocks) or worn/polished? (I suppose full esophagus suggests recent...?)=

Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Helene Van Doninck <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:helene.birdvet@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">helene.birdvet@g=

left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);padding-left:1ex"><p>Some animals can exh=
ibit &quot;pica&quot;, or the ingestion of abnormal things if they have met=
aboli