[NatureNS] Fox Sparrows and Other Yard Birds

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 11:09:39 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_ihPABXposiquD1oBlv1KQg)

The Fox Sparrows arrived here at our place in Portuguese Cove on March 18, and although most refuel and move on some stay to nest almost every year.  We still have at least one or two present this year which is not surprising because the area is breeding habitat for this songbird.  At one time several years ago we had Fox Sparrows present at our place for at least 16 continuous months.  They also nest around Portuguese Cove Lake though I suspect that with all the development in the area they will soon search out wilder places.

Fox Sparrows nest along the entrance road at Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park and on the high ground above the beaches especially at the second parking lot and above Mackerel Cove's beach. This sparrow is among our finest singing birds and it sings continuously once on territory.

I've never been able to get quality photos of this bird due to its dark reddish-brown colour and habit of scratching in the dark shadows of the forest but here's a couple of recent attempts from our northern glade: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/SparrowsToFinches2/0112.html  There are also some Song Sparrow photos in this series.

There are more photos in my journal: http://hanstoom.com/Journal/Page2.html

I too will use my bridge camera to videotape birds on habitat and singing.  It's a new area for me but I look forward to the challenge.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_ihPABXposiquD1oBlv1KQg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19019">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Fox Sparrows</STRONG> arrived here at
our place in Portuguese Cove on March 18, and although most refuel and move on
some stay to nest almost every year.&nbsp; We still have at least one or two
present this year which is not surprising because the area is breeding habitat
for this songbird.&nbsp; At one time several years ago we had Fox Sparrows
present at our place for at least 16 continuous months.&nbsp; They also nest
around Portuguese Cove Lake though I suspect that with all the development in
the area they will soon search out wilder places.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Fox Sparrows nest along the entrance road at
Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park and on the high ground above the beaches
especially at the second parking lot and above Mackerel Cove's beach. This
sparrow is among our finest singing birds and it sings continuously once on
territory.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I've never been able to get quality photos of this
bird due to its dark reddish-brown colour and habit of scratching in the dark
shadows of the forest but here's a couple of recent attempts from our northern
glade: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/SparrowsToFinches2/0112.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/SparrowsToFinches2/0112.html</A>&nbsp;
There are also some <STRONG>Song Sparrow</STRONG> photos in this
series.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There are more photos in my journal: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/Journal/Page2.html">http://hanstoom.com/Journal/Page2.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I too will use my bridge camera to videotape birds
on habitat and singing.&nbsp; It's a new area for me but I look forward to the
challenge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_ihPABXposiquD1oBlv1KQg)--