[NatureNS] birds White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:45:06 -0300

What a week for birds here in White Point. There are so many returning:
Chickadees, juncos, sparrows: many song and white throats, American, a swamp
and a Savannah! More fox sparrows than ever before and perhaps continuing to
arrive. No white-crowned yet but I am expecting them in  two or three weeks.
I saw for the first time in years a house sparrow. I heard it before I saw
it.
There are a couple I am still not sure of though.
Just now I was getting ready to write this I looked outside and a  Turkey
Vulture flew up from down by the golf course and as I could tell it wasn't
the usual Bald Eagle I went out on the back step and it flew directly over
me. Wow. I have seen them on the beach once or twice at Goose Haven (Port
Joli) but never in flight like that!!!
There are Robins, finally; first the females and then later this week many
males. Now they appear to have moved on so in about a week I expect they
will be back and setting up their nests. Grackles, red-winged blackbirds,
blackbirds and brown headed cowbirds.  Starlings of course and Mourning
doves. There are a few Blue Jays around, and this morning in glorious
sunshine we had our first American Goldfinch since fall I believe.
Many we would call normal returns haven't come as yet; orioles mockingbirds
and grosbeaks and finches....
Snow drops are past their prime, Croci are blooming and daffodils are
stretching. The Pussy willows are blooming, The alder catkins are starting
their yellowing and our big maples are blooming now. Garlic is through the
ground and once again the Honeysuckle is trying to leaf out. No peepers here
yet but I expect the next foggy night should bring them along. I must ask
Steve is he sees any frogs in the ditches yet.
I love this time of the year!! It's better than any Christmas!!
Oh and It looks like we will be staying put here awhile longer so feel free
to drop by.
Best regard,

Marg Millard, White Point,  Queens