[NatureNS] re frogs croaking, tree swallow -- White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:06:53 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_Cu9tjoFCzuLXj6IkZODXFQ)

Your croaking frogs were probably wood frogs, which usually start earlier than the peepers, but their calls don't carry nearly as far as those loud, high peeper calls.  Wood frogs sound like clucking in a barnyard.  Does that match what you heard?  Cheers from Jim in Wolfville

Hi Jim I didn't see them yet but that is usually where they hang out. We know they by sight. Steve said there were quite a few in the ditch along the old track bed when he walked after supper the other evening. Definitely a croak or cluck . No not peepers right here,yet; also checked property at Broad River last evening. No frogs or peepers but they should be out in the next few days as it is ever so slowly warming up. Saw a couple nuthatches, red breasteds, fly into their feeder.

Anyone seeing any wasps, bees or even flies? All I have seen are a few (inside) lady bugs. Snow drops are done, croci are almost done, heath is almost over and usually it is crawling with the little waspy critters. What will that swallow feed on? I'm guessing it blew in but next week is the date I usually see the early ones.
Chickadees and a song sparrow are visiting the hummingbird feeder.
Marg in White Point, Queens

--Boundary_(ID_Cu9tjoFCzuLXj6IkZODXFQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19019">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Your croaking
frogs were probably wood frogs, which usually start earlier than the peepers,
but their calls don't carry nearly as far as those loud, high peeper calls.
&nbsp;Wood frogs sound like clucking in a barnyard. &nbsp;Does that match what
you heard? &nbsp;Cheers from Jim in Wolfville</FONT><BR>
<DIV><BR>........</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hi Jim I didn't see them yet but that is usually where they hang out. We
know they by sight. Steve said there were quite a few in the ditch along the old
track bed when he walked after supper the other evening. Definitely a croak or
cluck . No not peepers right here,yet; also checked property at Broad River last
evening. No frogs or peepers&nbsp;but they should be out in the next few days as
it is ever so slowly warming up. Saw a couple nuthatches, red breasteds, fly
into their feeder.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyone seeing any wasps, bees or even flies? All&nbsp;I have seen are a few
(inside) lady bugs. Snow drops are done, croci are almost done, heath is almost
over and usually it is crawling with the little waspy critters. What will that
swallow feed on? I'm guessing it blew in but next week is the date I usually see
the early ones. </DIV>
<DIV>Chickadees and a song sparrow are visiting the hummingbird feeder. </DIV>
<DIV>Marg in White Point, Queens&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Cu9tjoFCzuLXj6IkZODXFQ)--