[NatureNS] Please come to my rescue

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:01:08 -0300

--Apple-Mail-66--295162421

Hi folks,

This isn't phishing; this is actually what is called "spoofing". The
perpetrators hack an account through guessing or cracking the
password, and then run what amounts to an identity theft scam. As Ulli
points out, anyone attempting to respond to this will be asked to send
money via Western Union to a United Kingdom address.

It's a very serious situation since whoever has hacked the account now
has access to everything that Gayle MacLean may have had in her email
archives, including any password, banking, and credit card
information. She will likely also be unable to access her email
account and unless someone calls her, may not be aware of what is
going on.

In recent months I've assisted three people to whom this has happened,
quite possibly by this same band of thieves. The people who do the
hacking are in Lagos Nigeria, they have collection agents in the UK,
and programmers who assist them in the USA. This syndicate runs not
only "spoofing" scams like the one below, but also also bogus
recruitment scams in which they purportedly find jobs (for a fee) in
the oil industry in Nigeria for people. The recruits have to pay fees
up front; the jobs, of course, don't exist.

In the case of one of my friends, they also set up a second bogus
email account with a hidden re-direct in the original account, and
they also destroyed her entire email archive, three years of
communications and documents.

Its a serious situation and if anyone has a telephone number for Gayle
MacLean they should call here ASAP and alert here to what has happened.

Best wishes,

Chris

On 8-Apr-11, at 1:21 PM, Ulli wrote:

> Before people get all concerned.
> In case someone hasn't figured it out or seen it before: This is the
> latest fashion of pishing emails.
> Not sure how they harvest email addresses of the recipients and
> identities of the "person in distress".
> If one responds to this request the next message will ask for a
> money transfer via Western Union.
>
> Ulli
>
> P.S.  Gayle has done nothing wrong, likely another users computer
> somewhere in the world had been hacked or virused and the
> information came from this machines email addressbook.
>

> On 8-Apr-11, at 12:38 PM, Gayle MacLean wrote:
>
>> How are you doing? I hope this email reaches you on time, I had a
>> trip to the United Kingdom but unfortunately for me I lost my bag
>> at the airport, I only got to realize this on my way to the hotel
>> where I lodged and this has caused me so much thereby making me
>> stranded.
>>      Presently my things are held down by the hotel management due
>> to my inability to pay the hotel bills which I currently owe, they
>> even had to restrict my access to the hotel facilities until
>> outstanding bills are cleared and I don't have a dime on me
>> anymore, I had to walk down to the city library in order to send
>> you this email.
>>     I need you to kindly assist me with the loan of (2,750 pounds)
>> so I can settle the hotel bills and make arrangement to return back
>> home, please let me know how much you can assist me with soonest.
>> I'm urging you to let this be between us because I'm so ashamed
>> about the whole thing.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Gayle

--Apple-Mail-66--295162421

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi =
called "spoofing". The perpetrators hack an account through guessing or =
cracking the password, and then run what amounts to an identity theft =
scam. As Ulli points out, anyone attempting to respond to this will be =
asked to send money via Western Union to a United Kingdom =
whoever has hacked the account now has access to everything =
that&nbsp;Gayle MacLean may have had in her email archives, including =
any password, banking, and credit card information. She will likely also =
be unable to access her email account and unless someone calls her, may =
months I've assisted three people to whom this has happened, quite =
possibly by this same band of thieves. The people who do the hacking are =
in Lagos Nigeria, they have collection agents in the UK, and programmers =
who assist them in the USA.&nbsp;This syndicate runs not only "spoofing" =
scams like the one below, but also&nbsp;also bogus recruitment scams in =
which they purportedly find jobs (for a fee) in the oil industry in =
Nigeria for people. The recruits have to pay fees up front; the jobs, of =
friends, they also set up a second bogus email account with a hidden =
re-direct in the original account, and they also destroyed her entire =
email archive, three years of communications and =
anyone has a telephone number for&nbsp;Gayle MacLean they should call =
here ASAP and alert here to what has =
8-Apr-11, at 1:21 PM, Ulli wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "> Before people get all =
concerned.<div>In case someone hasn't figured it out or seen it before: =
This is the latest fashion of pishing emails.</div><div>Not sure how =
they harvest email addresses of the recipients and identities of the =
"person in distress".&nbsp;</div><div>If one responds to this request =
the next message will ask for a money transfer via Western =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>P.S. &nbsp;Gayle has done =
nothing wrong, likely another users computer somewhere in the world had =
been hacked or virused and the information came from this machines email =
addressbook.</div><div>&l