[NatureNS] re red-winged blackbirds at White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 19:07:10 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_yBvkE0FUf73IB+8BpDFXfQ)

Hi Jim, we have two females red- winged blackbirds  in the front yard right now. They have been coming in the past 10 days or so but there were odd times over the winter when there would be one or more on or under  the feeders. I can't get the males and juvenile count as they are mixing up with the many grackles and flying from tree to tree.
Haven't seen any female cowbirds as yet, that I am sure of. I knew the males came first but we had a male cowbird awhile ago now, traveled with starlings. The trees here in the yard are just full of grackles, red-winged blackbirds and yards there are quite a number of Robins, some moving off some seemed to be "ours" and are staking out reg. nesting sites. Robins. There is so much posturing going on it is truly funny at times. The Mourning doves are getting in on it of course and one Blue Jay seems very attached to a red-winged blackbird male again. This will be the third year for this romance. No swallows aside from the one yesterday just outside of town. Song sparrows and white Throats are all settling down, the American tree sparrows seem to have moved on. There was a chipping here this afternoon but I can't see it now. We usually have a couple.
Isn't spring  a wonderful time of the year!
I'm hoping tomorrow if that wind stays down and the temps rise a tad, I'll get the camera and go see what I can find by way of frogs.
Steve brought me a couple mayflowers the other day. Heaven on a stem! Leaves are awfully tiny and rusty though. Someone is working back at the gravel pit, they have been blasting so those growing there will be wiped out sadly. I brought some here to my yard at one point but they have gradually been mowed out except under the trees.
Marg in White Point, Queens.

--Boundary_(ID_yBvkE0FUf73IB+8BpDFXfQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19019">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi Jim, we have two females red- winged
blackbirds&nbsp;</FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;in the front yard right
now. They have been coming in the past 10 days or so but there were odd times
over the winter when there would be one or more on or under &nbsp;the
feeders.&nbsp;I can't get the males and juvenile count as they are mixing up
with the many grackles and flying from tree to tree. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Haven't seen any female cowbirds as yet, that I am
sure of. I knew the males came first but we had a male cowbird awhile ago now,
traveled with starlings. The trees here in the yard are just full of grackles,
red-winged blackbirds and yards there are quite a number of Robins, some moving
off some seemed to be "ours" and are staking out reg. nesting sites. Robins.
There is so much posturing going on it is truly funny at times. The Mourning
doves are getting in on it of course and one Blue Jay seems very attached to a
red-winged blackbird male again. This will be the third year for this romance.
No swallows aside from the one yesterday just outside of town. Song sparrows and
white Throats are all settling down, the American tree sparrows seem to have
moved on. There was a chipping here this afternoon but I can't see it now. We
usually have a couple.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Isn't spring&nbsp; a wonderful time of the year!
&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I'm hoping tomorrow if that wind stays down and the
temps rise a tad, I'll get the camera and go see what I can find by way of
frogs. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Steve brought me a couple mayflowers the other day.
Heaven on a stem! Leaves are awfully tiny and rusty though. Someone is working
back at the gravel pit, they have been blasting so those growing there will be
wiped out sadly. I brought some here to my yard at one point but they have
gradually been mowed out except under the trees. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Marg in White Point,
Queens.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_yBvkE0FUf73IB+8BpDFXfQ)--