[NatureNS] Owl Monitoring Route

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:45:13 +0000

--_e2200c8e-b3f8-4fad-b3e5-daf4d740b330_

Last night Dorothy Poole and Brian and Janice Kenefick joined me on my Lapl=
and/Laconia Owl monitoring Route.
=20
I was disappointed by the owls=2C but the amphibians certainly were plentif=
ul.  We had wood frogs and spring peepers on 8 out of 10 stops.  The wood f=
rogs far out competed the spring peepers in volume and were very loud and v=
ocal on 7 out of the 10 stops. =20
=20
As per owls were had five barred owls=2C which is my lowest ever count for =
this route.  Conditions were perfect and sound carried for miles.  This is =
the first time that I've not actually seen an owl when doing this route and=
 all owls were very distant with only one being under 1000 meters.  What do=
es this mean?  I do not know.  An increase of cutting over the last year=2C=
 a lack of food and thus a different distribution or the owls are just not =
back on territory yet.  It is hard to tell.  One of the five owls only voca=
lized after the playback stopped and another was too distant to likely hear=
 the playback at all=2C so technically only three responded to the playback=
.  One owl only did a little bit of its call every time.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_e2200c8e-b3f8-4fad-b3e5-daf4d740b330_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Last night Dorothy Poole and Brian and Janice Kenefick joined me on my Lapl=
and/Laconia Owl monitoring Route.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I was disappointed by the owls=2C but the amphibians certainly were plentif=
ul.&nbsp=3B We had wood frogs and spring peepers on 8 out of 10 stops.&nbsp=
=3B The wood frogs far out competed the spring peepers in volume and were v=
ery loud and vocal on 7 out of the 10 stops.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
As per owls were had five barred owls=2C which is my lowest ever count for =
this route.&nbsp=3B Conditions were perfect and sound carried for miles.&nb=
sp=3B This is the first time that I've not actually seen an owl when doing =
this route and all owls were very distant with only one being under 1000 me=
ters.&nbsp=3B What does this mean?&nbsp=3B I do not know.&nbsp=3B An increa=
se of cutting over the last year=2C a lack of food and thus a different dis=
tribution or the owls are just not back on territory yet.&nbsp=3B It is har=
d to tell.&nbsp=3B One of the five owls only vocalized after the playback s=
topped and another was too distant to likely hear the playback at all=2C so=
 technically only three responded to the playback.&nbsp=3B One owl only did=
 a little bit of its call every time.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_e2200c8e-b3f8-4fad-b3e5-daf4d740b330_--