[NatureNS] Saturn and Drumming Ruffed Grouse

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 00:08:15 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_4SQMxBBZxEmioCEv/St+dw)

Last night I was observing Saturn (11:30 p.m. to 12:15 a.m.), while
doing so there was a RUFFED GROUSE DRUMMING in the woods near my
Horton Bluff location, heard 6 or more times during the observing
period.   Perhaps it was the fellow who comes regularly to my feeder
area during the day.  It was interesting to hear the drumming that
late at night. Moonlight was fairly bright (gibbous).  Earlier in the
evening when I put the telescope out to cool down, there was a full
chorus of SPRING PEEPERS.

Right around midnight SATURN IS AT ITS BEST,  at its highest in the
SOUTH (on the Avonport meridian about 12:48 a.m. ADT, which is close
to true midnight by the Sun).   This arrangement (with us on the same
of the Sun as Saturn) puts Saturn at its closest to Earth (72 light-
minutes -closest was around April 3-4). So it's a good time to view
the planet in a telescope; even in a small one, the rings are easy to
see.

The view last night was very nice. The northern side of the rings are
tipped nicely toward Earth, whereas last year the rings were near
edge on, looking like a pin stuck through the orb. This arrangement
does not emphasize the rings. This year we can clearly see the
opening in the rings circling the planet disc.   Two of Saturn's
moons, Titan and Rhea were also visible (one on each side).   The
telescope I was using has a 10 inch aperture objective lens and I
used eyepieces at 92X and 122X.

Here is a link telling about Saturn and the Moon and Spica visible
close to each other this weekend, Apr 16, ( the bright Moon in the
same area of sky makes Saturn and Spica harder to see).
http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-waxing-to-full-pairs-up-with-saturn-
on-april-16

and a link to SkyNews featuring Saturn with a photo similar to its
current view.
http://www.skynews.ca/pages/11-best-2011.html   and a bit of a star
chart for location  http://www.skynews.ca/pages/highlights.html

Sherman

--Boundary_(ID_4SQMxBBZxEmioCEv/St+dw)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Last night I was observing =
Saturn (11:30 p.m. to 12:15 a.m.), while doing so there was a RUFFED =
GROUSE DRUMMING in the woods near my Horton Bluff location, heard 6 or =
more times during the observing period. &nbsp; Perhaps it was the fellow =
who comes regularly to my feeder area during the day. &nbsp;It was =
interesting to hear the drumming that late at night. Moonlight was =
fairly bright (gibbous). &nbsp;Earlier in the evening when I put the =
telescope out to cool down, there was a full chorus of SPRING =
&nbsp;at its highest in the SOUTH (on the Avonport meridian about 12:48 =
a.m. ADT, which is close to true midnight by the Sun). &nbsp; This =
arrangement (with us on the same of the Sun as Saturn) puts Saturn at =
its closest to Earth (72 light-minutes -closest was around April 3-4). =
So it's a good time to view the planet in a telescope; even in a small =
one, the rings are easy to see. &nbsp; =
nice.&nbsp;The northern side of the rings are tipped nicely toward =
Earth, whereas last year the rings were near edge on, looking like a pin =
stuck through the orb. This arrangement does not emphasize the rings. =
This year we can clearly see the opening in the rings circling the =
planet disc. &nbsp; Two of Saturn's moons, Titan and Rhea were also =
visible (one on each side). &nbsp; The telescope I was using has a 10 =
inch aperture objective lens and I used eyepieces at 92X and =
the Moon and Spica visible close to each other&nbsp;this weekend, Apr =
16, ( the bright Moon in the same area of sky makes Saturn and Spica =
harder to see).</div><div><a =
href=3D"http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-waxing-to-full-pairs-up-with-satu=
rn-on-april-16">http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-waxing-to-full-pairs-up-w=
SkyNews featuring Saturn with a photo similar to its current =
view.</div><div><a =
href=3D"http://www.skynews.ca/pages/11-best-2011.html">http://www.skynews.=
ca/pages/11-best-2011.html</a>&nbsp;&nbsp; and a bit of a star chart for =
location &nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.skynews.ca/pages/highlights.html">http://www.skynews.ca=

--Boundary_(ID_4SQMxBBZxEmioCEv/St+dw)--