[NatureNS] Snowy Egret Update, Fox Sparrows and Mayflowers

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:24:01 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_eLYlb/jo4khJzt2wKpQkaA)

Laura and I went on our evening walk along Sandy Cove Road, HRM.  A flock of Double-crested Cormorants(40+) passed overhead in their ragged "V" formation.  Robins  and Juncos are starting to establish territory.  The nesting Hairy Woodpeckers have been doing spring cleaning on their telephone pole for the last two weeks.  The highlight of the walk was a few open Mayflowers. The Mayflowers have been showing buds for about three weeks but these are the first ones to open.  Look for warm spots by rocks.

The Snowy Egret remains at the Sambro Salt Marsh.  I notice that as the tide rises the egret moves further upstream suggesting that it's following a comfortable water depth for fishing and eeling activity. So the best time to see the bird when its closer to the road is at the tide's change when the ocean starts pouring water back into the marsh, along with a fresh supply of eels, and the water would also be shallower.

The Fox Sparrows remain at our place in Portuguese Cove so we may indeed have a nesting pair this year.  Time will tell, as it always does.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_eLYlb/jo4khJzt2wKpQkaA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Laura and I went on our evening walk along Sandy
Cove Road, HRM.&nbsp; A flock of <STRONG>Double-crested Cormorants</STRONG>(40+)
passed&nbsp;overhead in their ragged "V" formation.&nbsp;
<STRONG>Robins</STRONG>&nbsp; and <STRONG>Juncos</STRONG> are starting to
establish territory.&nbsp; The nesting <STRONG>Hairy Woodpeckers</STRONG> have
been doing spring cleaning on their telephone pole for the last two weeks.&nbsp;
The highlight of the walk was a few open <STRONG>Mayflowers</STRONG>. The
Mayflowers have been showing buds for about three weeks but these are the first
ones to open.&nbsp; Look for warm spots by rocks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Snowy Egret</STRONG> remains at the
Sambro Salt Marsh.&nbsp; I notice that as the tide rises the egret moves further
upstream suggesting that it's following a comfortable water depth for fishing
and eeling activity. So the best time to see the bird when its closer to the
road is at the tide's change when the ocean starts pouring water back into the
marsh, along with a fresh supply of eels, and the water would also be
shallower.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Fox Sparrows</STRONG> remain at our
place in Portuguese Cove so we may indeed have a nesting pair this year.&nbsp;
Time will tell, as it always does.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_eLYlb/jo4khJzt2wKpQkaA)--