[NatureNS] Pictou Co. sightings

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:26:47 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_YcOP9YqgU1/kxqT7rqKepg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Early this morning I had my first Purple Finch (m.) of spring at my (Plymouth) feeder. With it were a couple of Evening Grosbeaks which I have not seen at my feeder for a
couple of months. Still present were 5 Tree Sparrows, down considerably from the 30 in the depth of winter.

At Big I. this morning, I tallied 41 species with a couple new spring migrants. I had 2 singing Swamp Sparrows which I have not had before this spring. Along the causeway,
I noted 2 Red-necked Grebes in alternate plumage and I saw a third one on the inner bay. I suspected these birds last weekend, but I saw them in silhouette in the morning
sun and at the time was not certain enough to count them. I think there are the same birds from last weekend- not commonly seen along this shore in spring.

One of the wintering Myrtle Warblers was singing. I noted at least 3 Northern Gannets flying east. I noted 4 Snow Buntings along the causeway to Big I. and there were still 2 Tree Sparrows mid-way along the island with a number of Juncos. Karen MacLeod reports seeing Short-eared Owl at Big I. on 2 occasions in the last couple of weeks, but I have dipped on that sighting yet.

At Ponds, near Camp Geddie, I had a lone Tree Swallow, my first for spring. There were a dozen or more Ring-necked Ducks on Galt Pond where there were none last weekend.
I also had 20 in a roadside pond off the TCH 104 in front of Leils Cranes in Coalburn, just beyond exit 26. My first Pictou Co. Ring-necks were 3 in Mt William April 11.

I saw my first spring Osprey near the Pictou Causeway although I think others saw Osprey in the county 2-3 days ago.

A male Barrow's Goldeneye continues to be near the Caribou River bridge in Waterside.

At Waterside PP, I had my first spring Savannah Sparrow- almost 10 days ahead of normal. It was a noticeable pale bird and possibly Ipswich race, not often seen along
this shore. I have photos of to Ian MacLaren to see if he concurs.

Earlier this week, maybe Wed. evening May 13, Rick Ferguson had Wilson's Snipe at the old Drummond mine site in Westville.

Note it was -5C this morning at Big I.

cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_YcOP9YqgU1/kxqT7rqKepg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Early this morning I had my first <STRONG>Purple
Finch</STRONG> (m.)&nbsp;of spring at my (Plymouth) feeder. With it were a
couple of <STRONG>Evening Grosbeaks</STRONG> which I have not seen at my
feeder&nbsp;for a </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>couple of&nbsp;</FONT><FONT size=2
face=Arial>months. Still present were 5 <STRONG>Tree Sparrows</STRONG>, down
considerably from the 30 in the depth of winter. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Big I. this morning, I tallied 41 species with a
couple new spring migrants. I had 2 singing <STRONG>Swamp Sparrows</STRONG>
which I have not had before this spring. Along the causeway,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I noted 2 <STRONG>Red-necked Grebes</STRONG> in
alternate plumage and I saw a third one on the inner bay. I suspected these
birds last weekend, but I saw them in silhouette in the morning </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>sun and at the time was not certain enough to count
them. I think there are the same birds from last weekend- not&nbsp;commonly seen
along this shore in spring. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>One of the wintering <STRONG>Myrtle
Warblers</STRONG> was singing. I noted at least 3 <STRONG>Northern
Gannets</STRONG> flying east. I noted 4 <STRONG>Snow Buntings</STRONG> along the
causeway to Big I. and there were still 2 <STRONG>Tree Sparrows</STRONG> mid-way
along the island with a number of Juncos. Karen MacLeod reports seeing
<STRONG>Short-eared Owl </STRONG>at Big I. on 2 occasions in the last couple of
weeks, but I have dipped on that sighting yet. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Ponds, near Camp Geddie, I had a lone
<STRONG>Tree Swallow</STRONG>, my first for spring. There were a dozen or more
<STRONG>Ring-necked Ducks</STRONG> on Galt Pond where there were none last
weekend. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I also had 20 in a roadside pond off the TCH 104 in
front of Leils Cranes in Coalburn, just beyond exit 26. My first Pictou Co.
Ring-necks were 3 in Mt William April 11. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I saw my first spring <STRONG>Osprey</STRONG> near
the Pictou Causeway although I think others saw Osprey in the county 2-3 days
ago. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A male <STRONG>Barrow's Goldeneye</STRONG>
continues to be near the Caribou River bridge in Waterside. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Waterside PP, I had my first spring
<STRONG>Savannah Sparrow</STRONG>- almost&nbsp;10 days&nbsp;ahead of normal. It
was a noticeable pale bird and possibly <STRONG>Ipswich </STRONG>race, not often
seen along </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>this shore. I have photos of to Ian MacLaren to see
if he concurs. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Earlier this week, maybe Wed. evening May 13, Rick
Ferguson had <STRONG>Wilson's Snipe</STRONG> at the old Drummond mine site in
Westville. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Note it was -5C this morning at Big I.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_YcOP9YqgU1/kxqT7rqKepg)--