[NatureNS] Dogs on walks

From: "Michael Basford" <mbasford@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:16:00 -0300

As a former long-time dog owner, I generally agree with Randy Lauff's 3
points.  Regarding the first point -- must be leashed --
 there is a minority of calm. well trained dogs that can be off leash.
I 've heard that off-leash dogs chasing about have gone over the cliffs on
Cape Split and no doubt there are other dangerous areas.
I generally did not take the dog on a real hike as I' d have camera or
binoculars or both (and nowadays a hiking pole) and not enough hands.
And a dog ahead of me even a few metres usually spooks any animals I' d like
to observe.

Mike Basford    HRM