[NatureNS] Dogs on walks

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:01:25 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 4/18/2011 8:46 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

>  I would not have dreamed of carrying dog
> droppings out of these woods. And I can not imagine why one would do so
> now.
>
> It is a good fertilizer and a good food resource for creatures so
> adapted. To carry a biological resource out of woodland and then dump it
> into a 'land-fill' is, in my view, a triple abomination.
>
> It robs woodland of a useful resource, burdens an expensive and
> unsustainable 'waste' disposal system and creates problems for future
> generations by filling 'leak-proof' landfills with decomposable organic
> materials below the zone of aerobic biological activity where they can
> not decompose and become part of .the nutrient cycle.
>
> Life depends upon closed nutrient cycles. Western so-called civilization
> seems determined to generate one-way flow of nutrients; soil to landfill
> or soil to sea.

* it's nice to hear this said. Dog feces are one of the few ways in
which, in common practice, nutrients can be imported into natural
habitats, and our forests have generally been depleted of nutrients by
logging - http://pinicola.ca/limnutr.htm

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm