[NatureNS] Fwd: [Halifax RASCals] Nova Scotia To Become First

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 00:48:01 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 18/04/2011 11:59 PM, Patrick Kelly wrote:

> Nova Scotia's roads and highways will soon be lit exclusively with LED
> lighting, which will reduce energy costs and lower greenhouse-gas and
> mercury emissions.

A particularly gratifying part of this story (apart from the
environmental and light-pollution benefits) is that the LED lighting
technology was developed and tested in Nova Scotia, and the fixtures are
manufactured here. This is a boost to the Nova Scotia employment and
export outlook, not to mention the added benefit of minimal
transportation effects. Let's just hope that it won't be our dwindling
forest biomass that powers the lights.

Doug Linzey