[NatureNS] Re: Cats munching birds

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:57:12 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 4/19/2011 11:47 AM, Darrell wrote:
> (quote) If you allow your dog to run "at large" in wildlife habitat(1)
> at any time of year, you are breaking the law as defined under the Nova
> Scotia Wildlife Act. (end quote)
>
> This was taken from the first line from this Natural Resources pdf file
> below... http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/pdf/petowners.pdf
>
> Now if we could get the same law for hunting housecats that are free to
> kill millions of birds we would be getting somewhere.

* I was once told that there's a provision in the Migratory Birds
Convention Act which allows loose Cats to be shot as a threat to
birdlife. And that the great Earl Godfrey implemented this, and once had
some trouble with a cat-owner whose pet he had blown away.

I've never tried this myself. Maybe Earl was taught this by Robie Tufts,
during his boyhood in Wolfville, when the Migratory Birds Convention Act
was young?

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm