[NatureNS] Many Critters but no Whip-poor-will

From: Donald Mac Laughlin <mundobirder@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:35:13 -0200

--_b8223c5d-ac29-4749-8e01-8a63a6785da3_

Was working just outside Tatamagouche on Monday when the emails started com=
ing in about the Lake Angevine Whip-poor-will.  After a stressful day I tho=
ught sitting by the lake at night would be a great way to relax.
I decided to drive over by way of West Annan and East Wentworth and was pas=
sing through West Annan around 7:00 PM. The 12ish km drive between there an=
d highway 4 was absolutely wonderful for me.  I counted 52 Deer of many dif=
ferent ages=2C a Bald Eagle eating from what looked like a deer carcass in =
a field=2C a porcupine crossed the road in front of me and a also a bear. =
=20
I looked around the bridge by the Wentworth Picnic park for Eastern Phoebe =
without success (thankfully) and then made my way to Lake Angevine.  On thi=
s trip I counted another 19 deer.  I drove all the roads around the lake an=
d then decided to wait on the southwest end where there was a marsh on one =
side of the road  and the lake on the north. This was around 8:30pm and jus=
t about full dark.  Immediately I heard a loon on the far side of the lake =
and then the Wood Frogs started croaking. At this point the relaxing took o=
ver and next I knew it was about 9:40.  The frogs had been going steady wit=
h some robins singing in the background and every once in a while the loons=
 would call.  One loon had a strange call not like I'd heard before=2C some=
what faster than normal and a bit higher in pitch. Probably had a big trout=
 stuck in it's throat. Speaking of which there were many fish jumping as we=
ll.  Around 10:00 I heard what I think could only be a Long-eared owl quite=
 close.  At about 10:45 home started to call but I drove up to the other en=
d of the lake (on the southside) to stop and listen to what I could hear up=
 there.  I noticed as the moon came out just about full that all the frogs =
stopped croaking and I didn't hear the loons much either but what I did hea=
r up at this end of the lake way in the distance was a Great-horned owl.
On Folly Mountain on the way home I stopped at what we call the radio tower=
 road to see if I could hear any owls.  I found it was windier up there but=
 I did hear some Coyotes howling (cool but eerie.)   With these and a racco=
on along the road near Debert=2C the skunk I almost walked on in an old bar=
n in Tatamagouche and the Ground Hogs beside the barn it was quite a mammal=
 day for Nova Scotia.
Didn't get a Whip-poor-will (which I have heard at least 3 times before in =
Nova Scotia) this time but I did get to relax.
Don Mac LaughlinHalifax

This email address is not checked for incoming mail.  If you need to send m=
e a mail please send it to dmbluenoser=20

 		 	   		  =

--_b8223c5d-ac29-4749-8e01-8a63a6785da3_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
=3B ">Was working just outside&nbsp=3B<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" styl=
n the emails started coming in about the Lake Angevine Whip-poor-will. &nbs=
p=3BAfter a stressful day I thought sitting by the lake at night would be a=
 great way to relax.</font><div style=3D"font-size: 10pt=3B "><font class=
Apple-style-span" face=3D"Tahoma"><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" size=3D"=
2">I decided to drive over by way of West Annan and East Wentworth and was =
passing through West Annan around 7:00 PM. The 12ish km drive between there=
 and highway 4 was absolutely wonderful for me. &nbsp=3BI counted 52 Deer o=
f many different ages=2C a Bald Eagle eating from what looked like a deer&n=
bsp=3Bcarcass in a field=2C a&nbsp=3Bporcupine crossed the road in front of=
e-style-span" face=3D"Tahoma"><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" size=3D"2"><=
"><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" size=3D"2">I looked around the bridge by=
 the Wentworth Picnic park for Eastern Phoebe without success (thankfully) =
and then made my way to Lake Angevine. &nbsp=3BOn this trip I counted anoth=
er 19 deer. &nbsp=3BI drove all the roads around the lake and then decided =
to wait on the southwest end where there was a marsh on one side of the roa=
d&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3Band the lake on the north. This was around 8:30pm and just=
 about full dark. &nbsp=3BImmediately I heard a loon on the far side of the=
 lake and then the Wood Frogs&nbsp=3Bstarted croaking. At this point the re=
laxing took over and next I knew it was about 9:40. &nbsp=3BThe frogs had b=
een going steady with some robins singing in the background and every once =
in a while the loons would call. &nbsp=3BOne loon had a strange call not li=
ke I'd heard before=2C somewhat faster than normal and a bit higher in pitc=
h. Probably had a big trout stuck in it's throat. Speaking of which there w=
ere many fish jumping as well. &nbsp=3BAround 10:00 I heard what I think co=
uld only be a Long-eared owl quite close. &nbsp=3BAt about 10:45 home start=
ed to call but I drove up to the other end of the lake (on the southside)&n=
bsp=3Bto stop and listen to what I could hear up there. &nbsp=3BI noticed a=
s the moon came out just about full that all the frogs stopped croaking and=
 I didn't hear the loons much either but what I did hear up at this end of =
v><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" face=3D"Tahoma"><font class=3D"Apple-sty=
-span" face=3D"Tahoma"><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" size=3D"2">On Folly=
&nbsp=3BMountain&nbsp=3Bon the way home I stopped at what we call the radio=
 tower road to see if I could hear any owls. &nbsp=3BI found it was windier=
 up there but I did hear some Coyotes howling (cool but&nbsp=3Beerie.) &nbs=
p=3B With these and a raccoon along the road near Debert=2C the skunk I alm=
ost walked on in an old barn in Tatamagouche and the Ground Hogs beside the=
ont class=3D"Apple-style-span" face=3D"Tahoma"><font class=3D"Apple-style-s=
n" face=3D"Tahoma"><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" size=3D"2">Didn't get a=
 Whip-p