[NatureNS] Spring Migrants

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:44:20 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_U20jNfmqNSHa7kDFHAotBA)

This morning we had three male Purple Finches arrive at our feeders, the first of the year. Interestingly the first winter we spent here in Portuguese Cove, 2000-2001, we had about 30 Purple Finches all winter.  We haven't had so much as one overwinter here since that time suggesting that the earlier bunch were trapped by severe weather or other circumstance. This is an aberrant or unexpected result of global warming.

On our evening walk at Sandy Cove Road, HRM, we spotted two pristine male Yellow-rumped Warblers and at the Sambro Head salt marsh a Greater Yellowlegs was foraging.

No sighting of the Snowy Egret has been had for three days but the water at the Sambro salt marsh which is also a river delta has been high due to all the recent rain, so the bird could still be in the area but further up stream and out of sight.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_U20jNfmqNSHa7kDFHAotBA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>This morning we had three male <STRONG>Purple
Finches</STRONG> arrive at our feeders, the first of the year. Interestingly the
first winter we spent here in Portuguese Cove, 2000-2001, we had about 30 Purple
Finches all winter.&nbsp; We haven't had so much as one overwinter here since
that time suggesting that the earlier bunch were trapped by severe weather or
other circumstance. This is an aberrant or unexpected result of global
warming.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On our evening walk at Sandy Cove Road, HRM, we
spotted two pristine male <STRONG>Yellow-rumped Warblers</STRONG> and at the
Sambro&nbsp;Head salt marsh&nbsp;a <STRONG>Greater Yellowlegs</STRONG> was
foraging.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>No sighting of the <STRONG>Snowy Egret</STRONG> has
been had for three days but the water at the Sambro salt marsh which is also a
river delta has been high due to all the recent rain, so the bird could still be
in the area but further up stream and out of sight.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_U20jNfmqNSHa7kDFHAotBA)--